This was my third Holland America cruise. My two prior experiences were very good. Food in the main dining room in the past was good to excellent. On my past trips there was sufficient entertainment and on board activities. Not so on this cruise. Food in the main dining room was okay to poor. On the gala evening, the lobster in the surf and turf was old and cooked to death. So too was the filet which was tasteless. I opted for the optional Rudi's Sel de Mer dinner and was well pleased. Excellent food, excellent service. As to the entertainment, the dance numbers in the variety show entertainment were pretty good, but the vocal numbers were aimed at a 12 year old audience and you had to endure them to see the dancers. There was a very good jazz band playing in the ocean lounge, which unfortunately was not the best venue for engaging with the music. A violinist and pianist were the bids for classical type entertainment but the pianist was not very talented. The staff was, as always on HA, excellent. That is, my cabin stewards, the restaurant servers and wine stewards all were exemplary. My suite was always clean and well provisioned. Not so the customer no service staff in the atrium. When they did not know the answer to a questions, they sent me away instead of trying to find the answer for me.

Tired ship, mediocre food, boring entertainment

Zaandam Cruise Review by dailydelite

dailydelite’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Zaandam price drops

Vista Suite with Verandah
Cabin AA 6162
Cabin was spacious enough with very comfortable bed and pillows. I liked having a desk with mirror next to the glass veranda doors so there was plenty of light for dressing and make up.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins