Zaandam Cruise Review

Tired ship, mediocre food, boring entertainment

Zaandam Cruise Review by dailydelite

• Sail Date: Jul 2019
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Verandah Suite

This was my third Holland America cruise. My two prior experiences were very good. Food in the main dining room in the past was good to excellent. On my past trips there was sufficient entertainment and on board activities. Not so on this cruise. Food in the main dining room was okay to poor. On the gala evening, the lobster in the surf and turf was old and cooked to death. So too was the filet which was tasteless. I opted for the optional Rudi's Sel de Mer dinner and was well pleased. Excellent food, excellent service.

As to the entertainment, the dance numbers in the variety show entertainment were pretty good, but the vocal numbers were aimed at a 12 year old audience and you had to endure them to see the dancers. There was a very good jazz band playing in the ocean lounge, which unfortunately was not the best venue for engaging with the music. A violinist and pianist were the bids for classical type entertainment but the pianist was not very talented.

The staff was, as always on HA, excellent. That is, my cabin stewards, the restaurant servers and wine stewards all were exemplary. My suite was always clean and well provisioned. Not so the customer no service staff in the atrium. When they did not know the answer to a questions, they sent me away instead of trying to find the answer for me.

dailydelite's Full Rating Summary

Verandah Suite
Cabin AA 6162

Cabin was spacious enough with very comfortable bed and pillows. I liked having a desk with mirror next to the glass veranda doors so there was plenty of light for dressing and make up.

Walking Tour

Excellent overview of Old Montreal. Guide was very knowledgeable and touched on all of the high lights with good suggestions for further independent exploration.

View All 2 Walking Tour Reviews

The tour covered a lot of beautiful territory. There were only 4 of us in the group which allowed us to spend more time at spots we were more interested in. The guide was knowledgeable but spent a little too much time talking about things that were more of interest to her than anyone else.

Halifax

Guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable but way too much time spent at Peggy's Cove.

Acadia National Park

The park is lovely, but armed with printed materials, and the map in retrospect I would have done better with the hop on hop off bus tour. It goes through the same places in the park but you can get off as some places the tour does not stop and you can spend as much time as you want at the various spots, and it is much cheaper.

View All 236 Acadia National Park Reviews

Overall a great tour. Saw many things in the beautiful countryside. Enjoyed the lunch stop at a lovely old inn and the maple syrup experience at the Sugar Shack. The tour company was a little lax. Unbeknownst to us (or our guide) our tour bus broke down on the way to pick us up from one of the stops and we waited an inordinate amount of time for the tour company to straighten it all out.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Enthusiastic, knowledgeable guide but much of the territory covered was boring. Too much time spend at Anne of Green Gable's after I explained I was not really interested in this.

dailydelite