3. Disney Fantasy
Outstanding Staff: Heru (cabin steward); Kevin (customer service desk); Melvina (cabin steward) The Great: - received a cabin upgrade; my 8 year old daughter had a fantastic time on the ship Dining: - Buffet meals in the morning and at lunch were mostly excellent - Supper was usually poor: meats were mostly dried out and of poor quality - when you name a dish a certain name (ie. Jerk Chicken; amaretto desert) ensure that it remotely tastes like said named dish - I have lived in the Caribbean for a number of years, and the Jerk chicken did not taste like Jerk chicken, not even remotely; the amaretto desert barely had a hint of amaretto; the coconut curry was poor overall, although it was closest to the name) - cooks very timid with the spices, very bland - wife ate the worst lasagna of her life, and she's not normally a picky eater - our table partners were far more disappointed with their meals than we were, and would agree that the food served at supper was sub-par - service was just okay, often slow, and at times would get orders wrong - nice people though Entertainment: - Aladdin was good - Magician was poor and kept constantly plugging his wares - Ventriloquist was very good - Comedian was good - rest of the shows - okay for the kiddies, but nothing to write home about Overall Onboard Experience: - excellent for my young child and wife, who spent a lot of time with the characters, at the movies, shows, boutique, tea time, etc. - poor overall experience for myself and my 13 year old boy who wanted to hang out - he's not into the characters and/or into the shows; we spent time on the basketball court, but there is only so much time you can spend with the sun beating down on you all day; - terrible pool experience: my 13 year old who is 6 feet 2 inches tall and looks 18 (three weeks prior a waiter at a restaurant asked him what kind of beer he wanted to drink) did not want to spend time in the kiddie pool with the 2, 3 and 5 year olds; nor did I, as I am over 6 feet myself - to have two grown men hang out with the little kiddies would not only look odd, but it was not something that we were interested in doing - so we went to the adult pool one night at about 10:00 p.m. - spend an hour there, and was great (it was empty) - next night we went again to hang out a bit and cool off, and this time a different attendant questioned his age and kicked him, even though there were only two other people there, and the two of us were behaving appropriately (we were being civilized, not loud, not disturbing anyone, etc.) - talked to Customer Service about the situation, and they were unwilling to budge and/or accommodate, even though I told them that my son would act appropriately, orderly, etc. and not disturb anyone - spoke to 4 managers in total - Yuki was very nice, but could not assist - after speaking to Yuki, two managers came to speak to me at the same time; I found that a bit "aggressive" of them - last manager by the name of Arief (apparently the top customer service manager on the ship) seemed a bit condescending (ie. Mr. "A" we have already discussed this with you...Mr. "A", I am not going to go over the same points that were already discussed"); I am not even sure that he correctly understood everything that I spoke to him about (seemed to have some difficulties understanding- English is my 4th of 5 languages, so there is no excuse that he should not have understood his customers) - overall, other than Yuki, I found the latter managers unwilling to listen; unwilling to use their heads and apply some discretion; all hid behind their "policies") - they all told me that my son and I could hang out together in the kiddie pool, or that my son could go to the teenage pool (true, he could, but then he'd be there by himself and I'd be by myself in the adult pool - not my idea of family time) - kept telling me that if they let my son in the pool, then they'd have to let all other teenage children in the pool (untrue - they gave me a cabin upgrade - they did not give everyone else on the ship an upgrade); we live in world full of policies, rules, etc.; exceptions to these policies and rules are made all the time based on individual circumstance (ie. people get a break from traffic tickets all the time; bureaucrats and politicians intervene in certain cases to make exceptions based on individual circumstances; etc.) - applying discretion is what allows our world to function more smoothly at times... Overall: The staff were nice overall, other than the higher-up client/customer service managers who were unwilling to provide the customer service that Disney supposedly prides itself on. At least for myself and my son, we did not in any way receive our money's worth - we could have done the same cruise with a different line anywhere from 50% - 65% cheaper. Movies on the television were limited. Even though we weren't on the cruise to watch movies, given the fact that my son was kicked out of the pool, we spent a fair amount of time in the room when not playing basketball, eating, at the shows, etc.

Poor Value for Money: Twice/Thrice the price for sub-par experience

Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by MA91

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom

Dining:

- Buffet meals in the morning and at lunch were mostly excellent

- Supper was usually poor: meats were mostly dried out and of poor quality

- cooks very timid with the spices, very bland

- wife ate the worst lasagna of her life, and she's not normally a picky eater

Entertainment:

- Aladdin was good

- Magician was poor and kept constantly plugging his wares

- Ventriloquist was very good

- Comedian was good

- rest of the shows - okay for the kiddies, but nothing to write home about

Overall Onboard Experience:

Ages 13 to 15
Get Disney Fantasy price drops

Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin 08B 9000
Cabin was nice and roomy, in great shape, etc. Bathroom was two separate rooms, and although on the smaller side, adequate.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins