3. Norwegian Star
My youngest niece said "Daddy, can we go to Venice?" and that started a domino effect of trip planning so that by the time we booked, there were a total of 15 people travelling, two extended families including three kids, two teenagers, five adults and five seniors, two with limited mobility. Once we got to the terminal at the Port of Venice where NCL handlers expertly took care of my mom in her wheelchair, we were fine but it was a nightmare before that. Our privately booked wheelchair accessible vaporetto had to cancel because it was too rough to transfer my mother safely so we took the regular Alilaguna to the cruise terminal. We were shocked to find absolutely no porters or baggage trolleys at the pier and the embarkation was nearly a kilometre away in 40 degree heat! I left my folks and the luggage in the shade and went ahead with my sister's family to see if I could find a shuttle to the ship or at least a porter. No luck. The security guys said they couldn't help because of union rules. Finally, I waved a 20 Euro bill at a taxi stand and said, "I need HELP!" None of that was NCL's fault but it might have been nice if there had been an NCL employee stationed at that end of the terminal to radio for assistance. We were treated like royalty once we got the bags dropped off and into the VIP check-in area. Embarkation took approximately 20 minutes and we were on-board not long after that. Dining would have been a lot easier if our group would have split into more manageable groups of 4 or 5 because trying to arrange 15 people at one table was near impossible. Some of our group was pretty unreasonable regarding times because they didn't want to miss a show but Karin the Concierge did her best to coordinate with our needs. Again, that's on us, not on NCL. I didn't care where or with whom I sat, I just wanted to enjoy the great food. As suite guests, we visited Moderno every morning for breakfast and wow, left-over churrascaria filet mignon for my steak and eggs...YES, PLEASE!!!!!! That was the best part of my trip, hands down but all of the restaurants were good. Our fantastic butler was Rosevy and she was always bringing us plates of fresh fruit and replenishing our ice bucket and helping my mom! She would let herself in, quiet as a mouse and we would find all kinds of surprises and treats when we awoke from a nap! This was my first time staying in a suite and honestly, I would never have thought the extra cost compared to an inside cabin was worth it...but now, I'm a bit spoiled. Never having to wait in line to get on the ship was a really nice perk. *sigh* I'm just going to have to sell some vital organs or pray to the upgrade fairy for my next cruise. *sigh* Our group loved the Trivia activity many times every day and it became our gathering spot to check in with one another. I personally didn't attend any entertainment so I cannot comment but I was most often found floating in the pool. On the last day of the cruise, I purchased a day-pass for the Thermal Suites and spent several hours soaking, lounging and snoring in the relaxation room. oops, sorry about that! It was so much quieter than the pool area. Since we had such a large group, we organized private tours at most of the ports of call and that suited our needs. Santorini in particular was a beautiful port. My dad had a bit of difficulty but it was his choice to go ashore and he was a trooper! The cruise did make it clear that it would be challenging to get around. When it came time to disembark, we had absolutely no problems. The entire process was swift and easy. Overall, the Norwegian Star was the perfect venue for our Mediterranean Family Adventure.

Accessible Family Suite was perfect for our large group!

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by puppypundit

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Family Suite

puppypundit’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Family Suite
Cabin SJ 12032
Our suite 12032 was slightly modified to make it more accessible. There was no walk-in closet to get into the bathroom and there was no tub, only a zero-entry shower. We were three people sharing and there was plenty of space and privacy for me when I pulled the curtain around the sofa-bed. I loved watching the moon over the water through the floor to ceiling windows. I didn't even *want* to sleep fearing that I'd miss some beautiful whale or mermaid shadow.

There are are few improvements that could be made. It was kind of odd that the light switches for the overhead were only on one side of the bed...invariably too far for my mom to reach. Also, the lights in my little "private" section were on the same switch as the lights where my parents were so they could only use the bedside lamps at night. My dad also needed a US voltage plug by the bedside to run his CPAP machine but there was only one European outlet where the lamp was. I rigged up an adapter with an extension cord but it literally sparked so we had to run a long extension across the room to the desk with the 110 volt plug. Dangerous trip hazards on a moving ship are not a good idea!

I made the same comment after our cruise on the Jade last year but it's really important: Safety-grab bars are not towel-racks. Please, please, please add hooks on the walls and add loops to the towels to hang them. When my parents need to grab a bar to support their weight on a rocky ship, it needs to be free of wet or loose fabric. Our room steward did a great job but he kept hanging the towels and we kept moving them.

The other improvement is that accessible cabins should have automatic door opening. My mom wasn't able to get into or out of the room unassisted and once had the embarrassment to have to ask strangers to help when she dropped her belongings struggling to open the door.

Other than that, the set-up was terrific! We invited the children to play games borrowed from the library across the hall and it was big enough for the girls to rehearse their dance routines! It really was a Family Suite for a sweet family trip!
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins