3. Sapphire Princess
I chose this cruise as I was travelling with 2 teenage kids and there seemed to be a lot for the family to enjoy together. Also, I am not a great fan of very hot weather, so the Med in August was out. This was a first cruise for us all. I was interested to see the wide variety of people travelling from families with very young babies/children to the quite elderly. People who were working class to upper class from many different nationalities, so I could appreciate that there must be difficulties catering to every taste. On formal nights, dress ran from dinner jackets and full-length dresses to not bothered to dress up at all! I loved seeing the fjords; the highlight was Geirangerfjord. Stunning. What spoilt the cruise somewhat for me were the constant interventions to try and push you to spend more money. Would you like to attend the Art Auction, Wine Tasting, etc. Every time you left the boat, the crew would dress up in silly costumes and grab you as you disembarked to get your photo taken, which they would then try to sell you at $25 a pop. For one photo! Ditto on formal nights. As we were sailing away from Geirangerfjord, I was watching the beautiful scenery from the aft of the ship with a G&T in hand. Within the space of an hour, we were approached 4 times to be asked if we wanted to attend the Wine Tasting "for only $9.50" (but then they would try and sell you cases of the wine). Ditto with jewellery events, make-up events, etc. Sell, sell, sell constantly. It seemed like I could not find a quiet spot anywhere without getting pestered to pay for something extra. As a treat, I booked a couples massage for my husband and I (in itself expensive). At the end when we were delightfully woozy and relaxed, the therapists 'recommended' the products used which totalled more than $300!! Including a body brush for $45!!! (I paid £8 for mine). I asked where we could go to relax and 'come to' and have a drink of water and was told that it would cost an additional $40 to use the lounge!!! Outrageous! I have NEVER been for spa treatment without routinely being shown to a chill-out lounge area afterwards so that you can relax and slowly come to your senses and rehydrate. When you spend a LOT of money on an over-priced massage, you expect at least a sit-down and a glass of water to be thrown in. It has really made me think twice about doing another cruise.

FIRST CRUISE SOMEWHAT MARRED BY CONSTANT UPSELLING

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by Raqs Max

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview

It has really made me think twice about doing another cruise.
Raqs Max’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Sapphire Princess price drops

Oceanview
Cabin OC P300
Cabin was well-appointed with oodles of room for clothes, cupboard for shoes, etc. Shower space was compact, but adequate. Room service twice a day by our excellent steward who replaced all dirty towels and restocked.
Plaza Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins