3. Norwegian Breakaway
My husband decided to give NCL a try as we had never cruised the line before and wanted to try something different. We have cruised on several different lines but usually book on Carnival as the kids like them the best. On this trip we left the kids at home and it was just my husband and I. Embarkation was at Port Miami and although we arrived on the later side the lines were crazy busy compared to what we are used to with Carnival. We found our room, dropped off our bags and went to get a bite to eat. The buffet was crazy busy as expected on embarkation day. We tried the Irish pub but it to was impossibly busy. We did manage to grab a quick snack back at the buffet on attempt number two. The muster drill was indoors and fairly painless. We booked mini suite #9210. We found the room to be far away from everything and there was no real quick or easy way to get to it from any of the stairs or elevators. The room was clean and nicely decorated but quite small and the balcony was tiny. I would say the room was about the same size as a regular carnival balcony room and the balcony was about half the size on a regular carnival balcony. Due to the balconies size I did not find the balcony very relaxing and we spent very little time out there. The room had a decent size couch and had plenty of counter top and cupboard space. The closet area however was quite a bit smaller that we are used to, it was fine for a couple but I think if we had the kids it would have been very tight. The shower area in the bathroom of the mini suite had body jets, the shower itself was longer but it wasn't very wide. The vanity had two sinks and a hand soap dispenser witch was very nice to have instead of a bar of soap. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I think I have ever slept on EVER! I peeked at the mattress and it was old and very tired looking. I have had other cruise ship mattresses that were uncomfortable but this one was by far the worst. Both my husband and myself were waking up in the middle of the night and waking up sore each morning. The ship itself was clean and a really nice looking ship. They did a very good job decorating this ship. We found the boat very disjointed and it didn't have a very good flow. I booked the two shows online before the trip and also The Brazilian Steakhouse. I guess I misunderstood the concept of Free Style cursing because I found it to be the complete opposite of freeing. I didn't realize you needed to book ahead for everything food related except the buffet. I really don't like the idea of having to make reservations or keep a rigid schedule while on vacation, in fact it's the last thing I want to to. The best food we had on the boat was at the Brazilian Steakhouse, nothing else was particularity great and the deserts were all pretty pathetic. We ended up only eating in the dining room 1 time during our 7 day cruise because we couldn't get reservations at a reasonable time on any of the other days. That turned out to be completely OK though because the dining room was a complete let down. The main dining room (only visit) was not great by any means and the service was sub par. We sat for quite sometime before being greeted and we gave up on getting our deserts and left after waiting for about 25 minutes for them. The food was OK but not great. We mostly ended up stuck eating at the buffet witch was just OK. We did eat at the noodle bar twice witch was also just OK. The service the first time we eat there was fantastic, the best we had during the whole cruse but it was sub par the second time. We managed to get in and eat lunch once at the Irish Pud and it was OK as well, the service not so much. We probably eat only a third as much as we normally do on a cruise, I guess some would call that a good thing LOL. We missed not having the variety of stage shows that we have become used to on other cruise lines but the two complementary shows they do offer were spectacular! They were in a totally different league than other shows and I would strongly recommend making reservations to both shows. The theater was not as comfortable or as nice looking as other theaters on other boats but the quality of the shows made up for that. My husband did the rope course and enjoyed it. Only two of the four watersides were open during the cruise which was a let down. This was a summer cruise on a big boat so it was very busy and hard to get turns doing most of the activities. We used the arcade a few times as well as the bowling and the fuse ball. We looked in the shops a few times but didn't find anything of interest. I was quite frankly shocked however when I needed to purchase an early unexpected emergency "woman's" product while on the ship and they did not have any of the kind needed for use during swimming/bathing suit situations. We ordered drinks at a few of the bars and definitely enjoyed the whiskey bar drinks the most. We found it difficult to get a drink on the ship away from the bars. There were very few servers walking around the pool and lounge areas serving drinks. I assume this is because many of the passengers on the ship have the free drink package and so it's no conducive to their bottom line to make drinks readily available. We however didn't have the drink package and found it annoying that we had to go seek out a bar every time we wanted a drink. The 2 shore excursions we booked via the cruise line were quite good and easy to book via the TV in our room. On NCL's private island the food was not included, we eat at the Land shark restaurant witch was overpriced with crappy service. Debarkation was the easiest we have experienced so far on any cruise. My husband and I are pretty easy going travelers and we had a good time overall on this cruise. There wasn't any thing (aside from the beds) on this cruise that was particularity bad there was just some room for improvements in some areas and the whole "freestyle" cruising thing is not really our style on vacationing. We prefer more freedom and flexibility while on vacation, we don't want to have to make reservations or have set times.

Freestyle cruising isn't very freeing

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by erinm51

• Sail Date: July 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

On this trip we left the kids at home and it was just my husband and I.

The muster drill was indoors and fairly painless.

We mostly ended up stuck eating at the buffet witch was just OK.

We used the arcade a few times as well as the bowling and the fuse ball.

We looked in the shops a few times but didn't find anything of interest.

Debarkation was the easiest we have experienced so far on any cruise.

erinm51’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 9210
We booked mini suite #9210. We found the room to be far away from everything and there was no real quick or easy way to get to it from any of the stairs or elevators. It was a quiet room for the most part, not a lot of clanking or engine noise.

Due to the balconies size I did not find the balcony very relaxing and we spent very little time out there. I also found the balcony to have a lot of noise coming from other guests and the balconies were also not very private.

Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Snorkeling
    We did the glass bottom boat/snorkel tour. We had a really good time and a really really long snorkel. This area is having a seaweed problem and so the water was a bit on the green/brown side but the guide took us out and away from the seaweed itself. The guides were great and this was by far the longest snorkel we've done on an excursion. We must have been in the water as least an hour and a half. We saw great fish, creatures and a sea turtles as well. The glass bottom boat part was just OK but it didn't matter as the snorkeling was the highlight.

After the excursion we really enjoyed this port, it was pretty great! We enjoyed taco's at the taco place, enjoyed drinks at the bar, shopped and did the bird gardens.
    View All 78 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Cozumel
    We enjoy Cozumel. The port NCL docks at is a bit dingy but it;s close to the downtown area for shopping. Taxi's are easy to get on the street in front of the port. We like to go to The Money bar were we eat and snorkel.
    View All 6,718 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Harvest Caye
    Not my favorite port. The water is nor very clear and it's owned by the cruise line. Unlike Carnival the food is not included on this island and quite frankly the Landshark restaurant was over priced and not very good.

We did the spice farm excursion and although it was a nice day it was a bit on the boring side.
    View All 1,143 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Roatan
    Had a great time and will definitely book this again next time in Roatan. The guide was waiting for us when we arrived and off we went in a newer air conditioned SUV along with one other family also on this excursion. First we went to see the sloths and monkeys :) and it was just fantastic. We got to hold and interact with both, as well as some birds and guinea pigs. Then we went to snorkel, the reef was beautiful event though it was overcast. Third we went to a beach club/restaurant/bar were we hung out, ordered lunch (not included) and had a few drinks while admiring the ocean and tropical vibe. Really loved this excursion and a definite must if in Roatan!
    View All 13,184 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews