3. Rotterdam
This was a 10-day cruise that they stretched into 20 days. They lure you in with pictures of polar bears and puffins and whales. Not one single person on the ship saw any of those animals. Fortunately, most of the excursions were already booked by the time I got on board so I missed out on paying $180 and $200 for excursions to NOT see polar bears and puffins and whales. There were many, many sea days with absolutely nothing to do.... except hit the casino. I mean, they had the usual trivia and bingo and towel folding demos, but no lectures to tell us about the different places we were to visit, except talks about the excursions. It was a long, long trip. There were four stops in Iceland. There are not four things to see in all of Iceland, but they managed to find four ports where people could get off and not see puffins or whales. The stop at Inverness, Scotland was wonderful. Grass and flowers and trees with leaves on them. And as a bonus there were deep-water oil platforms parked in the harbor right outside our cabin. Having been an engineer in a previous life I think those platforms are the most beautiful man-made thing on the face of the earth. They were there to be disassembled, but they were still fully intact and beautiful at night all light up. This was my 23rd cruise and my room (3366) is the best room I've ever had. It was a lanai room (not a balcony) and so convenient. I could walk right out the sliding glass doors on to the promenade deck and walk all around the ship. From now on any cruise I take I will look for these lanai rooms. I've always said I've never had a bad meal on a ship, but this time some of the entrees were a little dry. As if they had been sitting under a heat lamp for too long. Bonus: The performances in the Lincoln Center Stage room were worth the price of the cruise.

Too Long With Nothing to See

Rotterdam Cruise Review by ocdtraveler

ocdtraveler’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Rotterdam price drops

Lanai Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin CA 3366
With a regular balcony room you can just walk out on to your balcony and only see what you can see by leaning over. But with this Lanai room I could walk outside and walk all around the ship. We were right next to the door that leads to the promenade from the hallway so if I only felt like walking halfway around the ship I could just come in on the starboard side and I was ten steps from our port side room. I had heard that people can see into the room. The only way to see into the one-way glass was if you stood right up next to the glass door and pressed your face up against it. Otherwise, you just saw a mirror if you were walking by. There are two deck chairs outside the room and I had read that just anyone will sit there even thought they are reserved for the specific cabin. That was never a problem. There was a reserved sign on each chair and people honored that. And there was a bathtub in the bathroom so we didn't have to shower in one of those little closets. Perfect, perfect room.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins