Insignia Cruise Review

Insignia Cruise Review by Fredalyn

• Sail Date: Aug 2019
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite

We chose this cruise after our wonderful cruise experience on the Insignia last summer. This time we took a back to back 7 day cruise to Bermuda. Yes, the same cruise twice. It was a great decision. The new decor is lovely. Our suite was completely refurbished and was bright and airy. Taking the tub out of the bathroom and installing a good sized beautifully tiled shower was great for us. However, we wish the bathroom was larger. It is rather small for a penthouse suite.

It truly is the crew that helps to ensure an excellent cruise experience. We were fortunate to have our same room attendant as last year, Mary. She is the best. As part of a team which included a butler and her assistant, our suite was kept immaculate. Linens replaced, laundry and pressing handled expertly, our fridge stocked with our favorite soft drinks, information and suggestions to enhance our trip. They worked around our schedule, including my husband's afternoon naps.

My Travel Agent had informed Oceania of my need to be gluten free. As soon as we embarked, I went to Dining Services where Rodelin was aware of my dietary restriction. She reviewed the procedures: introduce myself to the Maitre D's, and Head Wait staff and I would be given the menu for the following evening's dinner. I was to choose what I desired and if it wasn't gluten free or could not be made gluten free, they would notify me in advance so I could make other choices. On the first day, I introduced myself and ,met the head chef at the Terrace Cafe, buffet. The Chef escorted me through the buffet indicating which foods were safe and offering to make anything that wasn't separately and gluten free. After the first day, the wait staff knew my name, that I was gluten free and knew about the necessity to keep my food from being contaminated. Another thing that I love about their buffet is that for the most part, it is not self-serve leaving little chance for contamination. For breakfast, there was a standing order for the most delicious gluten free waffles I ever tasted. The toast was homemade gluten free bread. Once they learned I loved chocolate, a gluten free chocolate mousse cake was made for me. As a person with celiac disease, I felt freedom and confidence in being able to enjoy the delicious food on the Insignia. I did question and discuss everything I ordered, because that is what I must do to stay healthy. They were amazingly patient and did not take exception to my inquiries. When a novice server was our server, they always consulted with more senior members to answer my questions. We choose to dine alone because I sometimes grow weary of the questions and uninformed advice I am given from strangers. This was another accommodation we were able to have.

Though we like sea days, we loved having so many days to spend in Bermuda. It is beautiful with friendly people and almost no crime. The size of the Insignia was such that we docked in St. George's and Hamilton. St. George's had many easily accessible beaches and was quiet and quaint. Hamilton was more vibrant and full of shops. The island is has public transportation and taxis are not very expensive.

The entertainers were wonderful but the venue is small and cramped.

We would definitely cruise with Oceania again. The crew made us feel like part of the family. On the second leg, it seemed like everyone knew us and welcomed us back. They were proud and thrilled we enjoyed the cruise so much we were staying on to repeat it. Loved all 14 days and feel well rested and energized!

Fredalyn's Full Rating Summary

Penthouse Suite
Cabin PH2 8007

The cabin was exquisitely decorated. Very comfortable, light, airy and welcoming. The bathroom is rather small for a penthouse suite but it has plenty of well thought out storage.

New York (Manhattan)

Love NY. However as a transplated New Yorker, I am biased.

Crystal Cave

The tour of Tucker's Town that took place after our visit to the cave was interesting. We always wanted to see Crystal Cave. It was ok. Very crowded and I would have liked to have seen the Fantasy Cave as well.

View All 5 Crystal Cave Reviews
St. George's

St. George's is easy to explore on your own. It was not crowded and was beautiful.Easy access to the beaches by foot or taxi.

Fredalyn