Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Biscoco

• Sail Date: Aug 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside

Alaska is always a great destination, even when it was cold and rainy. But my concern is that the food on NCL seems to have gone downhill rapidly since our last cruise on the Jade last September. It was bland. Buffet looked like they had thrown together and mashed the food together from the night before on several occasions. Even the meals in the dining room sub par. My daughter had to remind the waiter on 3 occasions about missed things and one night a waiter got the orders wrong 4 different times. He just wasn't listening. Nodding his head and off he went. That happened more often then usual from our past cruises. We were Mid ship 5067 and 5069. Inside. But don't ever book anything in that area because the bars are above you and all you get until 2 in the morning is banging, sliding of equipment and noises I never knew existed. Sleep was challenging to say the least. If you have any mobility problems don't do the Thermal Spa. Trying to get in and out of the hot tubs was difficult. I wasted $186 and could only go there once. I was terrified I'd fall trying to get in and out. I was not the only one who felt that way. Others had the same concerns. Unfortunately when they refurbished by the Jewel and the Jade they left the seats in the Stardust theatre with no upgrades. When you sit down it is almost like falling onto the floor and the seats are slanted downward so it is uncomfortable. Unless there is a destination only NCL does at a decent price, I am not sure I would cruise with them again. The specialty restaurants were okay but found the ones on the Jade better.

Biscoco's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IB 5067 & 5069

Cabins are comfortable. Close to mid elevators. Lots of closet and cupboard space for 2.

Kayaking

If we knew it was a 5 mile kayak trip we probably wouldn't have done it with an 11 year old. The experience itself was excellent and a once in a lifetime opportunity. Unfortunately at the salmon bake there were over 40 people in the line and we were told there was only 30 minutes til we had to go back. There was no way we could have gotten our food in time especially since it was raining hard and people weren't moving from the tent for us to get our lunch. Just too many people. We ended up taking the van back to the ship...hungry and wet.

Lumberjack Show

Fun to watch. Have seen better ones on Grouse Mountain in Vancouver.

View All 333 Lumberjack Show Reviews
Trolley Tour

Nice fellow driving the trolley. Problem was we never saw 2 of the 3 attractions we were supposed to. He drove by one and and he pointed it out and the other one he had a detour and took us back to the ship and told us to walk. It was a 15 minute walk (or thereabouts he said) and with a mobility issue and not knowing for sure how far it was we didn't end up doing Creek Street. That was the area I wanted to see the most. So a big let down.

View All 32 Trolley Tour Reviews