• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Serenade of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
12 Awards

Excellent main restaurant food and service in evenings

Review for Serenade of the Seas to the Baltic Sea
colleen46
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Aug 2019
Cabin:

I always wanted to cruise the Norwegian Fjords and this cruise suited my available dates. I travelled with my teenage niece who was cruising for the first time - it was my 4th cruise holiday and first one with Royal Caribbean. The ship is impressive overall though, on closer inspection, is showing some signs of wear and tear. I was impressed with cabin size. The evening entertainment was good in the main though the main headline shows were very short - a maximum of 45 minutes. That's fine for a so-so show but far too short for a good one - and we had one excellent show in particular, Beatle Maniacs, a Beatles tribute band who were exceptionally good. I'd have loved another hour or so of them!

The main restaurant was where we dined every evening, we had availed of the My Time dining option. The food was simply outstanding as was the service. We had the same waiters each night and they felt like old friends by the end. We had a la carte breakfast in the main dining room most mornings and, while the food was good, the service wasn't. In the main service in the mornings was slow, impersonal and, we felt, unprofessional at times. We witnessed staff arguing with each other in front of passengers a few times. We weren't very impressed with the Windjammer buffet restaurant in terms of food quality. There was usually an Indian selection but we found that far too spicy for our palates.

The cost of port excursions was very high - prohibitively so in my view in most cases so we ended up just doing our own thing at most ports.

Port Reviews

Bergen

The Hanseatic Wharf, a Unesco World heritage site is a must visit

Alesund

didn't leave the ship at Alesund, weather was awful!

Copenhagen