3. Ruby Princess
What is there not to love about sailing to Alaska aboard the Ruby Princess? Not much! The scenery is stunning, the amenities are fantastic, and the service was out of this world. The good: 1) The ship is incredibly wheelchair accessible. I use a mobility scooter and the only place I encountered even the slightest challenge was at the gym (the machines are placed too closely together to allow a wheelchair transfer). Everywhere else, whether on ship or shore, there really wasn’t anything I couldn’t access. Our balcony stateroom, R301, was wonderful. Plenty of room to move about the room and balcony, and the roll-in-shower was perfectly equipped for my needs. 2) The service is generally above and beyond amazing. Our room steward, Arnolfo Lumbre (aka Arnold) and everyone we encountered in the dining rooms/food service facilities, exceeded our wildest expectations and we’ve been to some pretty high end hotels/resorts. Additionally, the crew fell all over themselves to be helpful — always offering to carry items at the buffet or casual service places and assisting in boarding and disembarking at each port. 3) The scenery is exactly what you expect from this type of cruise: stunning. There truly is no place like Alaska. 4) The shore excursions we took were all excellent. The operators were extremely professional and friendly. From whale watching in Juneau, the scenic train in Skagway, the lumberjack show and visit to the Saxman native village, and night tour of the Butchart Gardens in Victoria there was nothing that we didn’t love. We also did a side trip to Jewel Gardens in Skagway on our own where we had lunch at their lovely restaurant Poppie’s and blew glass ornaments. It’s only a mile outside of town and easily walkable through a safe residential part of town, or you could take one of the city’s SMART shuttle buses that stops right on the property for $2 each way. 5) Michael Modzelewski, the ship’s resident naturalist, is a national treasure. Go for him alone. 6) Food was generally very good. Take it from a discerning NYC foodie. Most meals were excellent, and SHARE and Salty Dog were nice treats that were well worth the up charge. Lobster night (formal night #2) and crab leg night (Skagway day) are not to be missed in the main dining room, so plan to be there for those. Generally anything with crab and chocolate was extremely well done. Breakfast at the buffet and international court cafe was generally better than in the dining room, though lunch and dinner was the reverse. The not so great 1) The shore excursion desk. While most employees on the ship go out of their way to be helpful and are great at their jobs, the people at the shore desk are a special brand of incompetence. We got a call from them to inform us that a lift bus would not be available for one of our excursions at the last minute though access was confirmed with the shore excursions dept months in advance and the dock manager was very confused because there were multiple lift buses working that day and I was on his manifest for rides back to the ship — so it all worked out, but not without wasting an hour dealing with the shore desk. 2) Salmon! Surprisingly the one thing the dining room kitchen couldn’t get right was salmon. Way over cooked and under seasoned two nights in a row. 3) Coffee in the dining rooms was dreadful. Tasted like hot water with brown food coloring so we ended up buying lots of lattes. 4) There weren’t a lot of social activities that are geared to younger passengers. My friend and I are in our thirties and it seemed like most of our fellow cruisers were either retirees or families so it was hard to find others in our demographic to hang out with.

The best way to see Alaska

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by nyoka

nyoka’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC R301
Perfect for my needs. I could easily get around the whole room and bathroom in my scooter. Nice sized shower seat and soap holders and shower controls easily reachable from my seat. Our room steward Arnold was incredible and I wish I could take him home in my luggage — he actually folded any clothes left out on the bed or chairs!
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins