3. Crown Princess
I chose this cruise because of the Great Britain itinerary and because our local travel agent created a package with Iceland before and a few days in London afterwards. We were a group of 6 seniors. All in all, it was OK but I was particularly impressed by this, my first Princess Cruise. I have sailed on other lines in which everything was not just good, they were perfect. After 8-12 days on those ships I had no complaints and could not say enough good things about the ship and crew. On this Princess cruise I can say most everything was pretty good, but not much was outstanding. Specifically, I did not appreciate being nickled and dimed for 12 days. The first thing I saw on entering my stateroom were two bottles of water and the charges of $5 plus for the large one and $3 plus for the small one. On other cruise lines, there has been unlimited bottled water in the staterooms, bottles when leaving the ship on excursions. bottles during the excursions, and bottles when you return. None of that here. Other cruise lines have offered unlimited soft drinks, beer, and wine during meals. On this cruise, everything was extra. I could get coffee at a meal, but there was a charge for cappuccino. A fellow cruiser was told there would be a charge for cranberry juice. The other thing I noticed were minor deficiencies with the ship. There was a ring in the toilet bowl. The stopper in our bathroom sink did not work. The wood railing on our balcony was worn. None of these are major items. But, I could not help but compare these to other cruise lines on which we have sailed (river and ocean) in which everything on the ship was in pristine condition. The entertainment was pretty mediocre. We have been on ships of similar size where the stage shows were spectacular productions. Not so here. For example, there was a magician whose show was very low key with just a stool and a briefcase for props. I remember a magician on another cruise who had elaborate props, was much flashier, including a camera with screens that allowed the audience to see clearly his close-up card tricks. Even though I was sitting only a few rows back in the lounge, I couldnʻt really see the cards very clearly. Those in the back would have to take his word that the trick worked. In one case, a trick did not work. He was OK, but I have seen better magicians on Americaʻs Got Talent. There were two comedians who were very funny. On the positive side, the food was good, the stateroom was sized about the same as on other ships, the bed was comfortable, and the service was OK (although they did have some trouble quickly clearing tables in the Horizon Grill buffet.) The selection of ports was good. We were pleasantly surprised by Guernsey and Orkney of which we did not know much before arriving at each. All of our excursions were booked privately, so I canʻt comment on the quality of the shipʻs offerings. Some others with whom we traveled had been on several previous Princess cruises, were very satisfied with them, and said this one just didnʻt seem to be of the same quality.

Just OK is really not OK