3. Sapphire Princess
We chose Princess Cruise Line because of the itinerary of Norway ports I wanted to visit, and, based on a previous cruise with Princess to Alaska, we were confident Princess Cruise line would provide an Excellent cruise, with ample opportunities to get to know Norway, a place I'd always wanted to visit, but never had. Although the ship is not brand new, it had been refurbished just last year so we were sure it would be fine for us, and we weren't disappointed! We decided to get a mini-suite with special perks available to those who opt for the Club Class experience, which includes your own special dining room, and staff, with NO waits when you're ready to eat, whatever that time may be! Also included with Club Class was Priority Embarkation AND disembarkation, which helped us get on the ship by bypassing the long lines! Our cabin was almost center of the ship, which gives the least motion even during some of the rougher action of the North Sea! D407 had an excellent view of the starboard (right) side, and we only had to walk down 3 flights of stairs (unless you want to wait for the elevator) to our dining room. The excursions we chose helped us get to know the Norwegian people, their history, likes and dislikes, and even got a "language course" from one of the guides in Olden to help us understand how to pronounce the Norwegian words, and the different parts of the Norwegian names that identified the reason they were named that. How fun!! We did not have very many children on board, probably due to the time of the year and the destination, but all of those I saw were very busy with activities of their own on board the ship, and even had ares where "only" certain ages could visit... Although this ship does have a Casino on board, we did not see very many using it while at sea, and we also noticed that it was a "No smoking" area of the ship, atho it may not always have been, as there was a slight smell of smoke if you chose to walk through. Since we had an excursion at every port of call, there was little time left over to shop for souvenirs, but I did find time to pick up my official Norwegian sweater at a Susan Fosse shop in Bergen, and was waited on by her son, who was very knowledgeable and helpful, and helped me find a very pretty sweater with Norwegian viking ships on the buttons. If you do this cruise, I would HIGHLY recommend the "over the mountain" excursion, Best of Geirangerfjord, HE2-100, which allows you to have a full day of sightseeing from the port Hellesylt to Geiranger, with an unbelievable trip to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba and a view of Geiranger which many people never see! (Look at the picture on the Geiranger excursions page on Princess.com to get an idea of what it looks like, then multiply that view by 100!!) Overall, a WONDERFUL cruise with an optional excursion upon returning to Southampton to get a transfer to Gatwick airport via a detour to StoneHenge!! What a bonus, if you've never seen it!

August 2019 cruise to my ancestor's home of Norway! What a delight!

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by JerryDT

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Premium Club Class Mini-Suite with Balcony

JerryDT’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sapphire Princess price drops

Premium Club Class Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M1 d407
Slightly outdated decor, but very nicely furnished with comfortable bed AND a shower/tub combo. A great view with an extended balcony.
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins