3. Carnival Sunrise
Apparently the main objective of Carnivals transformation of the Triumph into the Sunrise was to increase their revenue and the customer be damned. While some welcome amenities were added, more of the focus of the renovation was apparently devoted to additional cabins than to passenger amenities. Cabin: The ocean suite was quite spacious and clean. Air conditioning within the suite seemed a bit lacking, even on the coldest setting temps rarely dropped below 76 degrees. We had an issue where the toilet would repeatedly flush itself for minutes at a time after use. A metal railing securing the bottom of the shower door kept falling off. Overall we were not happy with this cabin. Dining: Forget about the Lido Marketplace as it is unbelievably crowded compared to any other ship I have been on. We only tried it for breakfast on our first 2 days. Buffet lines greater than 30 minutes were the norm. On day 1, we were unable to find a table, so we took our food back to our room. On day 2, we found a table, but were interrupted by dripping condensate from the ceiling falling on our heads and food, gross. Needless to say we didn't return there for the remainder of the trip. On a better note, Cucina De Capitano was great, and Fahrenheit 555 was fabulous. We alternated between those for dinner for most of the trip. Special Mention to Guy's Burger Joint and Pig and Anchor as well. The deli had lots of nice options and was fairly quick as well. Embarkation: We had Priority boarding and all went very quickly. Activities: My son seemed to enjoy many of the on board activities, My wife and I were like meh. Entertainment: One of the few bright spots on this ship. Fun shows and a fantastic cruise director in Chris "The Flying Scotsman". Fitness and Recreation: Meh. Onboard Experience: This ship feels very crowded most likely due to the reasons stated in the first paragraph. The pools were almost always filled to capacity. There was hardly a lounge chair to be had on sea days. While I am a smoker, I can usually sympathize with the complaints others have made regarding the casino. However, on 2 occasions on this trip, I was in the smoking section on the Panorama deck when non smokers complained about the smoke. I basically pointed at the sign on the wall and told them to pound sand, but it illustrates the level of crowding if non-smokers are willing to aggressively attempt to shame the smokers out of the smoking areas to snag an open lounger. Public Rooms: Public restrooms were non-existent or simply difficult to find which led to a long trek back to the cabin if you suddenly had to go in the middle of dinner. In addition, air conditioning was weak in many public areas (with the notable exception of the casino). Service: The young ladies who were serving me drinks on the Panorama deck (AnnaMarie and Rochelle) were absolutely amazing, and I went out of my way to tip them personally. Staff of Fahrenheit 555, Deli, and Cucina Del Capitano were equally amazing. Cabin steward was meh. Shore Excursions: We didn't use any as were are familiar with Bermuda and can easily get around on our own. Value for the Money: As a cruiser who routinely purchases suite level accommodations, this ship is not even close to being worth the price. While the staff and crew are wonderful, as is typical of all of my past cruises with Carnival, even their hard work cannot remove the tarnish from this Old Girl's reputation. This is the first time I felt cheated with a cruise. For the money I paid I expected a lot better then what I got. Bottom Line: If you are considering booking this ship, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. If you are reading this and you have already booked, you have my sympathy. We sailed the Horizon last year and the experience was vastly superior to this. Their newer ships are way better. But they only seem to bring them to NY for a limited engagement then sail them off to Florida or the Caribbean, never to return. I live on Long Island, and as such I like to sail out of New York. For my money, if Royal Caribbean can routinely run Oasis of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas, and NCL can run Encore, Escape, and Joy out of NY, why can't Carnival offer us a first class ship? Instead they offer us these retreads, and based on this experience, I would have to assume the experience would be similar on other Carnival ships they tend to run out of New York I.E. Sunshine, Radiance. Carnival truly needs to step up their game in the NY market. Unfortunately, I will no longer be sailing Carnival in the future as a result of this experience.

More of a retread than a refit.

Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review by JoeN964

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Ocean Suite

Embarkation: We had Priority boarding and all went very quickly.

Fitness and Recreation: Meh.

JoeN964’s Full Rating Summary