3. Norwegian Pearl
This was our first cruise. We would have rated the cruise as a 4+ out of f5 but for one major issue. More on that later. I would say the cabin itself (ocean view) was what we expected: Unobstructed view, clean, large enough, etc. The food was pretty good, and much better than that in the specialty restaurants. The dining upgrade was worth having. The entertainment was also good, actually better than we expected. The staff was great, wonderfully pleasant throughout. But... You do not want to find yourself lodging on Deck 5, Rooms 5602 - 5610. That was an unmitigated nightmare (or whatever the term is when you are wide awake but going through an agonizing ordeal. Picture yourself in an Airstream trailer. Now picture someone whacking the side of your trailer with a metal bar, and then beating the trailer with a smaller utensil for about ten seconds. Then picture that happening every night from about 1:00 a.m. until 5:30 a.m. There were actually a variety of noises throughout the trip, each unique, but unbelievably loud and inconvenient. Guest Services staff, an engineer and others came down to figure out the source and/or a solution. Couldn't figure it out. Sound apparently moves in mysterious ways in metallic boats. We couldn't be moved, even to an interior cabin, because the ship was filled to the brim. We finally advised Guest Services we would need to leave the ship in Corfu (Day 4), but we were then advised other guests were disembarking in Corfu, and we could use that room to sleep in. Didn't actually happen until the next day, but from Day 5 - 10 the zombie nightmare was over. My real issue with NCL is the apparent duuplicity. Staff is very sympathetic with the situation; they acknowledge it is unbearable. The manager even offers that these rooms should not be used by guests because, unless you purchase a drink package and faithfully indulge throughout the night, I really don't think you can sleep through that level of noise. (My comments about the drink package. He just indicated these rooms should not be made available to guests). They did provide $400 in shipboard credit, which is enough to purchase 52 bottles of water, but we were assured that when we contact the corporate office in Florida, everything will be made right. I did contact the NCL corporate office, and I was advised that "noise is subjective," so it turns out it was really just my (and my wife's) sensitivity to noise that was the problem. She missed going ashore on two of the first four stops because of a lack of sleep. The guests in rooms 5602 and 5606 would disagree with NCL's assessment, as we commiserated over our plights on occasion. A couple of us even recorded some of the noise so we could relive it during daylight hours. Not to sound too cynical, but it appears that the staff is coached to wholeheartedly agree with the guests on all particulars, apparently to avoid the zombies making a scene, and direct the guests to contact corporate, and then have corporate deliver the bad news: Pound sand. Days 6 - 11 were excellent: The food tasted better, the shows were more entertaining, and the shore excursions more exciting. We were just a little disappointed that our sensitivity to sound put a damper on our first five days of travel.

A Great Cruise...if you don't need to sleep for 11 days!

Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by mappelman