3. Norwegian Sky
We booked this cruise to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. We had planned to go to Cuba but because travel to that country was recently and suddenly revoked, NCL sent us to the Bahamas. We are very satisfied with the compensation from NCL. It is very generous especially considering it was out of their control. The ship was very clean and well maintained. The staff was very friendly and attentive. We won our bid for a room upgrade and were given an aft-facing balcony room from a porthole room. The room was the perfect size for the 2 of us. The balcony had 2 chairs, a lounger and a table. If you are positioned closer to the sliding doors, it felt very private. If you are standing at the railing everyone above and to the sides can see you. Not a big deal for me. Our room steward, Wil, knew my name even before I met him. He had met my husband the day before and when he saw us together in the hallway the next day he said to us, "Hello Tom. And you must be Samantha. I am Wil. Nice to meet you." This was an impressive attention to personal details that I appreciated. He was always smiling every time we encountered him. We felt the vibrations from the engine, having this room, but it was not terribly disruptive. I would book another aft-facing balcony. We were close to the Garden Cafe, just 3 floors up, and would walk up and grab some snacks or a drink and bring them back to our room. We dined primarily in the dining rooms and the food was always good. Enough variety and the service was great. We also ate at Cagney's. They served one of the best ribeyes I have had anywhere and I live in cattle country. I will definitely dine there on our next trip. The sides were not memorable however. We also ate at Le Bistro. It was an intimate and quiet atmosphere for our anniversary dinner. Our server, Joshua was outstanding and he would playfully banter with the other server, both seeming to enjoy their jobs. Tip: Find the restroom before you go in. I got up during our meal and was directed outside of the restaurant. I never did find it. These were the best desserts we had all trip at Le Bistro. Bars are plentiful on this ship. We hit about 6 of them on our trip just to pick up a drink and carry-on. All had fast service except the poolside bar. This was because they were inundated all of the time. Not the fault of the bartenders. They worked quickly to keep up with the demand. I found it faster to go to the bar on the 12th deck, one deck up from the pool, then to wait at the poolside bar in that line. The bar in the sushi restaurant was rarely busy and they will serve you even if you don't eat. But the appetizer we had was good. FYI, we were told that it was ship policy not to serve drinks neat or to serve shots. All drinks must be poured over ice or mixed with soda or a mixer. However, I was able to order "after dinner drinks" like Frangelico or Gran Marnier, neat, in the restaurants. The only on board entertainment we took in was the adult comedian show, Landry. He was funny and I wasn't offended but he was crude. We walked by a one man piano bar show in the Atrium area that looked very entertaining but it seemed all of the seats were occupied so we moved on. We went to the White Hot party on Wednesday night of our sailing but we sat on the upper deck and watched the party going on below us. Everyone was having a blast dancing and listening to the music, us included. We spent some time in the casino. It was pretty crowded but I managed to get a seat at the roulette table on 2 separate occasions. It had a $10 minimum bet on our sailing and the colored chips are $2 chips. I have never encountered $2 chips before. Drink service here was lacking. For that matter, drink service was lacking next to the pool as well. We had a person serving cups of water on one occasion only. If we wanted a drink anywhere other then a meal, we had to walk up to a bar and get it ourselves, this included bottled water and soda pop. This didn't bother us much though. We got off of the ship in Freeport and walked the meager shops here. There are a few restaurants, small eateries and shops. We bought a few souvenirs and had some conch fritters that were ok. The locals were very friendly and we felt comfortable here. This port is very small and there isn't much to do if you don't book an excursion. We were exhausted from the previous days travels and wanted to enjoy some downtime on the ship and the port so we opted not to do an excursion here. We booked the Pearl Island excursion in Nassau. We were one of five ships in port that day and the port was extremely crowded! I was so glad we booked an excursion that took us away from the main hub of activity. Pearl Island was beautiful and quiet. Tip: If you are one of the first groups to arrive, don't stop at the first beach area you encounter. Keep walking down the island until you get to the private cabana areas and you can't go further. This area is quiet and we had it to ourselves for an hour and a half. We were luckily the first of 4 groups to arrive that day. They had clamshell lounges that are fee free and we had one of these all day. We brought our own snorkeling gear and were able to see lots of small fish near the rocks on the beach area. The water was pretty shallow. It would have been great for small kids. The drinks here were not strong and expensive. A 16oz drink was $14. A bottle of beer was $7. The provided lunch was delicious. Fish, BBQ chicken, rice and plantains. I wish we had more time here. 3 hours was not enough but I appreciated that they staggered the groups of guests so the island was never overcrowded. As we were leaving, the owner of the island came by our boat to see if we had enjoyed our visit. He said he kept the tour groups small on purpose for that reason. On the way back they took the boat by a few celebrity houses. That was fun. We were looking forward to a relaxing day at Great Stirrup Cay. It started out cloudy as soon as we boarded the tender. Tip: If you go down to board before 9am, you can get right on. After 9am, they assign you to a group and you have to wait to be called to board. Once on the island, we kept walking past all of the first groups of chairs. Tip: If you like the peace and quiet, don't stop at the first groups of chairs you find. Walk all the way to the private cabana area, at the end of the island, and this beach is more isolated, less crowded and there are rocks to snorkel around. There was a food truck, bathrooms and gazebo bar all nearby. Tip: They served beer in cans so bring a koozie. On this day we had about an hour before the rain started. And it never went away. It was just hard rain or light rain. This island was beautiful and I really wanted to enjoy it all day but the rain ruined it. I would love to go back on a dry day sometime. Since NCL owns this island, everything was included and it was all good. I recognized some of the crew from the ship working on the island as well. These people never get a break. LOL! Wonderful, hardworking people from all over the world. Overall, we had a wonderful experience. We have already booked another cruise with NCL to the Mexican Riviera in March and we will take our kids this time. We cannot wait to share the cruise experience with them.

Great Trip Despite Itinerary Change

Glitterbutton’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sky price drops

Aft-Facing Balcony
Cabin B1 9078
Room was comfortable for two. Very clean. Shower was slow to drain sometimes. Balcony was a good size and semi-private with a lounger, a table and 2 chairs. The bed was comfortable. The hairdryer only worked on the vanity plug-in, not in the bathroom. The room would vibrate heavily when leaving port or coming into port but that was really the only time we truly noticed it and it didn't bother us. This room is right in the middle of the row of rooms. Would book again. The Garden Cafe being 3 decks up was not a problem for us.
Norway Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins