Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review
3,650 Reviews

Family fun and even relaxing!

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by sandyjoys

• Sail Date: Aug 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

Three years ago, while on the Escape, we bought a Cruise Next certificate and we had to use it! After some research we decided on this ship because it was similar to the Escape, which we all loved, but with a different itinerary.

My family consists of me, 44, husband, 45, two boys, 12 & 10. My 12 yo is less than a month from turning 13.

Our stateroom, 10874 was small, but laid out nice and we never felt too cramped. We all had space to relax. I never had a balcony before and it was wonderful. Most days I woke up before anyone else, so I was able to slip out to the balcony with my book and relax while my family snoozed away.

My kids went to Splash Academy every night except one (we thought they’d enjoy the magician/comedian). Even my 12 year old liked going. We would check them in and have a nice dinner and see the show. Since they were “dolphins” they were able to sign themselves out after two hours if they were bored or tired. It worked out great!

In Roatan, we booked the Dolphin Encounter through Norwegian. We were taken by van along with 16 others to Anthony’s Key resort. Once there, our group was split in half and we had a 30 encounter with a dolphin and her trainer. Though it was was a wonderful excursion, with great pictures.

Harvest Caye was spent on the beach. The pool, while huge was very crowded and I feel like some people had too many and were being obnoxious. My husband and 12 yo did the zip line course and both said it was great.

In Costa Maya, we booked Maya Chan on our own. It is a private resort with a max of 80 guests. We had the best day there and would plan other cruses just to go back!

We stayed on the boat in Cozumel so the kids could go on the waterslides, but sadly, only one was open.

We enjoyed the shows, especially Rock of Ages, which I saw on broadway. It is a but raunchy and several people left with their kids in the middle, despite warnings in many places it was 18+

The food was really good, especially Teppenyaki and the meal during Wine Lovers (another highlight).

I got the thermal spa pass and enjoyed spending an hour or so there every day, only the first evening it felt crowded, after that, I was usually in the hot tub all by myself!

Overall a great week!

sandyjoys's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BD 10874

A basic stateroom for four people. I wish the bathroom was a bit bigger, but overall a well planned layout.

Swimming with Dolphins

Beautiful resort, educational and fun

View All 52 Swimming with Dolphins Reviews
Beach

This is the place to go in Costa Maya!

sandyjoys