3. Koningsdam
I chose this cruise because of the itinerary and I had a future cruise credit I wanted to use. I had been on the Koningsdam before and knew what I liked and didn't like. Nothing has changed with the ship - If you don't like overwhelming amounts of cigarette and cigar smoke don't try to use the back pool. If you want really slow service and medicore food then the dining room is not for you. But if you want some of the best cabins at sea, good choice of movies on the tv and the roomiest shower than maybe you will like this ship. Embarkation was easy as I took their transfer from the Rome airport and luggage was delivered quickly. I had been upgraded to a solo ocean view cabin and while small it had everything I had no air conditioning for the first 2.5 days and it was a bit of a nightmare to get them to fix it even with the help of guest services. Holland America is great unless you experience an issue then you realize they aren't so great. For my suffering they sent flowers???? Oh well. Last time I did not like the MDR so this time I ate many meals in the buffet and over time I got the sense that a lot of others had the same idea. The food in the buffet was always hot and varied. Given I went for the itinerary, all ports were good and the ship on time in all ports. I only took one excursion which I would recommend. Its the boat, bus transfer to OIA and Fira.

Good way to see Greek islands

Koningsdam Cruise Review by cancruise2

• Sail Date: July 2019
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Single Oceanview Stateroom

cancruise2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Single Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin OO 2006
I had the solo ocean view but its not listed in the categories. Typical ... even Cruise Critic doesn't seem to know about single cabins. Its hard to find reviews on this type of cabin so I wanted to write about it. It was small, no chair as advertised and as mentioned I had no air in the cabin for 2.5 days due to air flow issues. The shower is the best at sea and the cabin stewards were great. As another reviewer said, you can hear the shows above if your back in the cabin early.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Archeological Museum
    I took the blue line hop on hop off 15 eurs and while its cheaper than the red buses, you have to transfer at the acropolis stop. I went the archeological museum which had a very long line and wasn't a very good museum - the Olympia, Rhodes and Naples ones were much better.
    View All 59 Archeological Museum Reviews
  • Olympia Archeological Tour
    Got off the ship and took the 8 euro bus transfer to Olympia The entrance fee for museum and grounds. This is the best way to do Olympia- they give you two hours which is more than enough time to see it and the village.
    View All 193 Olympia Archeological Tour Reviews
  • Ephesus
    The cruise line tour leaves a 7 thirty am before it gets too hot and crowded. I had been there over 40 years ago and want to see how much more they escavated. The tour guide was ok but if you take the ship tour they will hurry you thru and just stop quickly at their version of highlights. IF you want an in-depth tour do not go with the ship excursion.
  • Mykonos
    Holland America tendered and it was quick and efficient. Walked around the town, went to the windmills (10 minute easy walk). Ate gyros at Stav as its food is great and good atmosphere. There is a small beach in town that I saw quite a few passengers at with a life guard. Overall a very pretty and easy port to visit on your own.
    View All 1,082 Mykonos Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Mykonos Cruise Port Review
  • Naples
    Having been here many times this time I walked to the Palace (beautiful) and worth the 8 euros, and then to the Archeological musem. Its a long walk but interesting. The museum is very good and worth the visit. Note they do not have a cafeteria or coffee shop on premises.
    View All 1,426 Naples Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Naples Cruise Port Review
  • Rhodes
    I love Rhodes... this time I went to the archeological museum. Given I went to one in all of the ports, I would say this is best even better than the one in athens. The town is easy to get around and their is a small beach close to the ship and then about a twenty minute walk an even better one.
    View All 482 Rhodes Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Rhodes Cruise Port Review
  • Oia Village
    I took the ferry transfer and bus to OAI and then the transfer back to Fira with the cable car. The ferry gives you a great chance to experience the Caldera. The walk up the incline to get the bus is not easy but its five minutes of pain is worth it. OIA was beautiful and not too crowded. Fira was crowded but there was no line at the cable car. The best view of the sunset was on the ship.
    View All 227 Oia Village Reviews