3. Norwegian Epic
This itinerary through Italy, Spain, and Cannes was really appealing to us. Checked off a lot of boxes for us. Cruising allowed us to visit many sites (Pompeii, Vatican, Florence, and more) conveniently. I am a teacher and I have a very defined time that I can travel each summer. This specific schedule fit our calendar perfectly. Our cabin was clean, the food was excellent, the ship set sail and docked efficiently and on time. The security of having record of us boarding and disembarking at each port gave us peace of mind. The cons for us was that the ship was crowded. And every time we had a question, no one could answer or resolve anything except going and standing in line at Guest Services. I must have done that once a day! They are most competent, but less than friendly. It was usually a demeaning experience! The other aspect of this trip that really got us started off in a less than relaxing manner was having us wait for nearly four hours on the ship, just milling around with our carry on luggage, without being able to go to our rooms. We were led to believe from all of the info sent to us that we would be separated from our luggage for a time period and to have things with us that we would need, but we were never alerted to the time lag for getting into our room and being able to chill a little. I'm sure there's some reason for it, but it was not a great start to our trip. We grew so weary of being nickel and dimed throughout the week. Internet should be included. $30/day for Internet access is ridiculous. So is the mini-bar charges for beer, wine, and other drinks that are available at no extra charge at the bar. There are so many ways you can streamline general operations to make things a little more convenient and relaxing for guests and still make your money. For the most part, I felt like cattle being herded around - on the boat, off the boat, into a bus, waiting for dinner (although I will say meals were handled quite efficiently and the dining staff really had wonderful, welcoming customer service skills!). I felt tolerated, not warmly welcomed. Others we spoke with along the way had the same general feeling. I can say that this cruise served its purpose for us. We might do another when we have some ground we want to cover. But the experience itself was not the quiet, relaxing vacation we anticipated. This was, by far, the most expensive vacation we have ever had and, frankly, expected a tad more welcoming and pampering, but really I was the most average overall experience we have had in our travels, except for the sites we got to see. Those we will remember! The staff works so very hard and I appreciate their effort so much. But one of the crew told me that they are signed on for one-year contracts and work with only two half-days off each week, for 10 months straight. I think they need some time off occasionally to recharge their batteries a little more for themselves and for the guests.

Convenient way to travel! But I need a vacation from my vacation!

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Grrr8grl

Grrr8grl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MC 12079
Nice and our steward did a great job of cleaning and tidying. There is a security problem - we returned from dinner one evening to find one of the crew in our room with our steward. She was in our room without permission, using our room for her own personal grooming. We reported it to Guest Services and discussed the matter with the Director of Housekeeping who assured us that everyone must swipe their card to get into a room and there is a digital record of everyone who entered, but obviously that is not the case, as this young woman popped into our room while it was open by our steward for cleaning, and there was no record of her presence except for our report. A few days later we found that something had been taken from our room while we were out of the room visiting the port city. The cabin rooms are not secure and this really needs to be addressed seriously by the leadership.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins