3. Anthem of the Seas
This cruise was to celebrate my friend's anniversary which was on a Royal Caribbean cruise 5 years before. On that cruise we had around 60 people. As well as celebrating an anniversary, 3 of us were celebrating our 65th birthdays on this cruise. My birthday actually fell on the day we were in port in Bermuda. This cruise was a debacle almost from the minute we arrived at the port. Some things were minor and if they were the only problem, we would have just let it go. We understand that things happen and don't nitpic over every little thing. But this cruise was one problem after another and even the resolution offered by the cruiseline turned out to be yet another fail. So I am going to include most of the problems we had, large and small, so that you can understand the frustration we all felt. This cruise left from New Jersey. We arrived around 11 am and got in line. We range in status from gold to diamond. It was pretty disorganized and some Gold passengers ended up in the Windjammer 20 minutes before we even got on the ship. Minor issue, no problem. After lunch we went to the pool and there were no towels. So we went to ride the bumper cars. They were having a problem because 2 of the cars that people were already in were not functioning and they had to get out and get back in line. Unfortunately, some of their families were already in cars that worked. We went back to the pool and had a few drinks , went to the room and unpacked. I have to say, I loved the room. We met some of our group for dinner. The restaurant was a bit of chaos because there are 2 restaurants but your card does not say which one to go to so people where standing in line at the wrong side which caused a backup in the area.At dinner everyone got a menu except my husband and I. We had to call him back over. When my meal came out, they gave it to someone else before it finally made it's way to me. This is just nothing I have ever experienced before. I guess I had been spoiled, but that is kind of what you expect when you pay the price we paid for this cruise. After dinner we went to look for the karaoke. Unfortunately, it is only open for an hour and it was already full, We went to the room, filled out the card to have coffee delivered in the morning and went to bed. Coffee was never delivered, I have never had this happen before. So we got up and went to breakfast at the restaurant. After breakfast we went for a walk around the ship to look around. We went to the pool for some of the contests. We went back to the room to get ready for dinner, which we were thought was lobster night. When we got there we found out lobster night was going to be on the second formal night ( which we were surprised they would have lobster night on a shore day?) We had already booked a dinner at the specialty restaurant which meant we would miss lobster night. Had we known earlier we could have switched the reservation around instead of missing one of our favorite things. Again, the service at the dining room was a bit of a shambles. Next day a large group of us were going to Horseshoe Bay Beach. A few of us were meeting by the pool to watch our friends get on the North Star. My friend had paid for her grandchildren to go on this cruise and planned to spend the day with them at the beach. We were all supposed to meet there but the grandchildren and their parents never showed up. When we got back to the ship we found out that their safe wouldn't open and they had to have their passports.They were stuck sitting in the room for well over an hour before anyone showed up. By the time the safe was opened it was too late for them to try to get to the beach. That night, 10 of us had a tour that we booked through Royal Caribbean for a pub crawl. This was the worst tour I have ever been on. The driver was terrible, didn't even talk to us. When he got us to the first stop, he said we could get off if we wanted!!!! I will be posting a whole separate review on the tour. It would take way too long to share that here.The next morning we had a tour that was booked with a private company and it was wonderful! When we returned, the group coordinator from my group and I went to guest services and told them about many of the problems. There were more than what I have even posted here. They promised to resolve the problems and they said they were going to do something very special for our group like something at lunch etc. We had to end it there because it was time for our reservation at Wonderland. Wonderland was WONDERFUL! Food and service was excellent and I hoped this would turn things around. After dinner my husband and I went to the Bionic Bar. We had stopped here earlier in the week but nothing was working. Well nothing had changed. In 20 minutes we saw at least 10 drinks that were only half full or made incorrectly. The next morning at breakfast we did get some fruit for our table and fresh squeezed orange juice( which most of us got already) . We did not know that was the "special" thing they were doing for our group.We did receive a half credit for our tour but as bad as it was and since we did not get the discounts we were promised and we were not taken to the bars as promised I expressed to Louis that I did not feel that was enough. I took it up with Post Guest Services after returning home and for the last month I have been trying to get a resolution. Today they told me that Royal Caribbean does not take any responsibility for tours you book through them. (P.S. I forgot to include that another person in our party also had a problem with their safe, and one of the shows had to be stopped in the middle of the show for technical difficulties) I understand that things happen, but it seemed very little was working properly on this ship, The public areas were small and this ship holds a lot of people so everywhere was crowded. We are not unreasonable people. Things happen but it is the way the company deals with the issue that matters. This company chose to not care whether we were happy or not. We travel with a group, usually anywhere from 12 to 60 people but I guess that no longer matters. I have always loved RC but if this is where they are going I do not know how I feel about sailing with them again. With as much money as we brought to this cruise and with as many problems as we encountered I would not think refunding at least a little more of our tour price would be that big of a deal . We had I think 48 people on this cruise with many of them purchasing drink packages so if you do the math you will see it would not have hurt them to resolve this issue. My review for the tour will be about their Pub Crawl In Bermuda.

Royal Caribbean has gotten too big for their britches.

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by Alaskalovr