Norwegian Bliss Cruise Review by djbbaj
- Sail Date: August 2019
- Destination: Alaska
- Cabin Type: The Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Balcony
- Two highlights for us were two excursions we took. In Juneau with did a helicopter ride and walkabout to the Mendenhall glacier, this was definitely worth the relatively high price for the excursion. We also thoroughly enjoyed a bike ride that we did in Skagway.
- We spent a bit more money to get a stateroom in the Haven, which is a separate, private section located at the top of the forward section of the ship. I'm not sure if our room was much bigger than any other room on the ship, but it was well-appointed with a nice big deck. Even better we had access to two private lounges, an indoor pool, sun deck, concierge and access to the Haven Restaurant. This was well worth the additional cost.
- The food was great overall on the ship. We ate a number of meals at the Haven Restaurant. We also got a 3-meal restaurant package and are glad we did that. We had two meals at Ocean Blue and one meal at La Cucina, and all the meals were excellent. We also had a few lunches at the Garden Cafe, a buffet-style restaurant that offered any kind of food you would want. The food quality was high across the board.
- Service was top-notch across the aboard on this ship. All the people working on the ship were professional, helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. A first-class operation.
- The ship's gym is good. We used it several times during our trip.
- A low point of the cruise, from our perspective, was the cruising in Glacier Bay. Due to manmade climate change, there were really no glaciers or icebergs to see except for one glacier at the very end of the bay. Lots of brown and green, and no wildlife. It was pretty depressing.
- An odd segment of the itinerary was our stop at Victoria, BC. We didn't get off the ship until 8:30 pm and had to be back on the ship before midnight. So we really didn't have much time to see Victoria.
- The beverage package was a bit awkward to use. I like to have a glass of wine with dinner, but the package didn't cover a lot of wines. You had to pay extra for most of the wines.
- This final point isn't really a fault of the ship, but as a married gay couple with no kids this really wasn't the right ship for us. This ship is HUGE, and most of the people on the ship are large younger famililes with lots of kids and older straight couples. If we were to do another cruise, we'd try to find a smaller ship and/or a cruise for LGBTQ folks. Again, this isn't really a criticism of the cruise. We didn't really expect there to be a lot of LGBTQ folks on the ship, but we didn't think we'd be the only one.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Glacier BayThere are barely any glaciers left, very sad.View All 720 Glacier Bay Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Glacier Bay Cruise Port Review
Mendenhall GlacierA highlight of the cruise. The glaciers probably won't be around much longer, but we're glad we got an firsthand experience walking on one before it's gone!View All 875 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
KetchikanInteresting place; we enjoyed walking around and exploring Ketchikan.View All 1,760 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Ketchikan Cruise Port Review
VictoriaWe arrived here late in the evening and didn't have a lot of time to explore.View All 1,282 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Victoria Cruise Port Review