3. Star Princess
Never have I ever written a critique just to praise everything. I read and research every ship on Cruise Critic before I book. I feel others want unbiased opinions or why ask or read them. Never have I ever had such an engaging ship’s captain as Capt. Tuvo. He is an asset to the company. Never have I ever enjoyed such delicious cruise line food on the past 20 something cruises we have taken. The variety, quality and presentation was a highlight of our cruise. Never have I ever had the savings of only getting I drink package for hubby. I can never do the package justice. On PCL we were able to save money on drinks which was a first. Never have I witnessed so much cleaning and prepping. Never have I enjoyed such old world charm on a ship. The beautiful furnishings and design if the lounges are sumptuous. Oodles of places to play cards and games with sea views. IMHO PCL could have more staff to passengers ratio in these areas so we could have felt more pampered. Never have we (hubby noticed it also) ever watched so many servers avoid eye contact or just ignore us all together. We did not enjoythe noticeable waiting for someone to take a drink order. Never have I ever fetched so many drinks for our group. It was so noticeable that I feel the need to point it out. However we do acknowledge the need in the industry for this type cruise experience for those that enjoy being self sufficient. Some may find the staff asking “ may l get you something” annoying. Never have I ever had such comfortable bedding. Decadently cozy describes it. Never have I ever found blood stained bed linen on day 1. I am surprised by the lack of attention to detail. However, leaving a note for the cabin steward resolved the issue. Never have I ever had an on board Factory Outlet sale set up in a dining area for a four hour sale. Some cruisers loved that. Never have I ever witnessed a so many cruise staff being rude, indifferent and impolite to cruisers. I feel it may be a lack of training of the staff members. And the few experienced, well trained staff members were few and far between the inadequate workers. I made sure to write and turn in to guest services onboard commendations for staff that went out of their way to make sure our cruise was enjoyable.I really hope the company recognizes their efforts. Never have I ever had so many inappropriate interactions with staff. Examples of a few were: Cruise Director staff telling a passenger excited by game play “to Calm Down” three times in front of an audience. I felt it was purposely using the person as a chance for laughs. It wasn’t kind. Another time, my ill sister-in-law needed water. She went to two people at the Explorers Bar. They both pointed to the pitcher to help herself rather than stop their prepping for bar opening. She asked them because she was afraid that she couldn’t lift the pitcher. Never have I ever had dining staff tell me to not go to use the facilities because the waiter finally showed up to take our breakfast order. We were given a table with no one assigned to it. Never have I ever had staff interrupt me by saying “ if you would let me finish”. Why should I when you got me to your promotional by giving false info. I’m not new to cruise spa promotions. If you can’t honor the discount then why waste the vaca time I paid for to let you sales persuade me into what I know I won’t pay for. Sales are noticeably emphasized on PCL. Lastly, this comment from the washroom attendant when we told her that the bathroom needed servicing. “Why do they use so much paper?” It’s all laughable now but for a company with the slogan “Come Back New” it gave us pause to ever rebook with PCL unless the price was extremely hard o pass up or the ship goes to a bucket list destination that no other cruise line sails. Now we are forewarned about the PCL company. In my humble opinion if PCL really wanted to improve their staff responsiveness then PCL wouldn’t have closed my chance to take their on line survey 72 hours after disembarking when the directions said I’ld have two weeks. Makes me think they don’t care. However, I was able to do hubbies’ before it was closed for comments. Thank goodness we have Cruise Critic available to discerning consumers. As for cabin review and excursions please see the follow up below.

Never Have I Cruised Like This

Nannygo’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Oceanview
Cabin OC P335/OC
Great storage like the vintage ships of old. Very well maintained except for the linen problem mentioned above. If you have back issues then the pull down bunks can cause a problem. You can’t look out the unobstructed view with out crawling up on the bed. The bed blocks the window when made up as a queen size. The bed linens are very cozy. Good frig size, but not too cold inside. I did my research before traveling and knew the AC wasn’t adequate for us to be comfortable. Took room thermometer so I wouldn’t be told “it is just you that is hot”. Temperature never went below 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Great for most but we like it cold to sleep well so we took a fan to circulate the air. It was a trip saver for us.
Plaza Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• City Tour
    We had been to Juneau two previous times. So we booked through PCL a cooking excursion that was cancelled 24 hours before port call. So we ambled off the ship and lucky for us James introduced himself at the dock. He turned out to be an Outstanding speaker with local knowledge of Juneau and its people. We learned so much more about Juneau on our third trip to this port. He will entertain you as well as take you to what you want to see or find. Hubby wanted to replace his 20 year old salmon skin wallet. We would have wasted valuable time trying every store for one. James took us by pedicab directly to the best source. I can't rave enough about the wonderful afternoon we had with James. Butane sure you don't accept a substitute for this pedicab company. Others may not be as reliable.
    View All 54 City Tour Reviews
  • Lumberjack Show
    We paid to do the Crab feast and the Lumberjack show. It was an outstanding value. PCL failed to note in the excursion description that their were 79 steep steps down to the dining lodge. The problem was resolved by the lodge staff providing a small motorized cart ride down and up. Good news is you will get all the Dungeness crab you can eat plus the most delicious blueberry cheesecake you'll ever eat. Bad news, if you wanted King Crab or Snow Crab then you better get it in writing from PCL first.
    View All 298 Lumberjack Show Reviews
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    3rd time on same train trip and would do it again, Outstanding views. Very crowded train cars at noonish. Unable to seat five of us in same train car. But it's our fault cause three waited til last minutes to board. The train staff offered to help but we had no way to communicate with each other. So get your group together early.
    View All 1,085 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
  • Victoria
    Disappointed that the only way to get to downtown area was pricey taxi or the shuttle provided by PCL for $15 a person.
    View All 1,283 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews