3. Star Princess
I chose this cruise because it started and ended in the beautiful city of Seattle which adds another couple of days of sight seeing on our own prior to the cruise departing. We arrived Friday afternoon and explored Seattle that night, full next day and morning of cruise. We booked our own hotel. Perfect! My parents are avid cruisers so they booked us rooms that had windows (which we wanted) but we all had obstructed views to keep the costs down. See my cabin review for more details. This is the third time I have cruised INSIDE PASSAGE with Princess Cruises. This cruise went to Tracy Arm Fjord (I personally prefer Glacier Bay for more magnificent views). We booked the EXPERIENCE THE YUKON & SUSPENSION BRIDGE for our 3rd time and each time it's been a fantastic value for SKAGWAY. This shore excursion is extremely thorough and the coach takes you all the way into the Yukon (passed amazing scenery) and much further than the train. You end up at Caribou Crossing Trading Post which is an amazing stop where you can play with Alaskan huskeys, ride a mushing vehicle (extra), pan for gold (extra), view an amazing animal museum, gift shop, yummy bbq lunch included, ice cream shop, and tons of farm animals. It's great for fun photos as well. I think EXPERIENCE THE YUKON WITH SUSPENSION BRIDGE is the best excursion for the cost. In Juneau, to save money, we booked strictly the MENDENHALL GLACIER (self guided tour) which got us there and gave us plenty of time to hike to NUGGET FALLS. In KETCHIKAN, we immediately went to the visitors center and got the walking map which was a free walking self guided tour and was quite fun (walking required). Our tour guide also pointed out several bald eagles and some Juneau info as we went to and from the cruise dock. On board the ship, there are so many activities to please all ages and tastes. The crew was so friendly, professional and went out of their way to serve everyone. We chose "anytime dining" as not to be restricted in schedule. We would just choose 5 or 7 and be first in line so never had to wait to be served in formal dining room. One opens at 5 and one 7. Horizon buffet was really impressive too. Having pizza, burgers and ice cream available was an added bonus. The food was a huge variety and very well prepared. I've been 3 times on INSIDE PASSAGE and I would go again. It's such a great value. Embarkation at Seattle and disembarkation was flawless and professional.

Inside Passage on Star Princess with Obstructed View

Star Princess Cruise Review by GoGoGoJo

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)

Embarkation at Seattle and disembarkation was flawless and professional.
GoGoGoJo’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Oceanview (obstructed view)
Cabin OV E416
We booked specifically wanting an outside window, but to keep our costs low. This room on deck 8 which is EMERALD. If we wanted to get out on outside deck or to where the fun was, the stairs are right there to walk down to 7 within a quick minute to pop outside or into all the activities on Deck 7, 6 or 5. You do have an obstructed view as there is some sort of "mobile rescue boat" blocking a good percentage of your view. I just like to have a window to view where we are and then can quickly walk down to the deck via adjacent stairs or elevators. This is a great way to be able to afford this trip, still see outside and have convenient access to beautiful views and activities. Plus, you can climb all the way to 14 for buffet and use stairs to work off calories (or take elevator if you prefer). I don't have a view photo, but if you search "obstructed view" on various Princess Cruise ships, you can get an idea and see if you can handle it. I have traveled several times this way and am fine with it. I don't need a balcony to enjoy a cruise.
Emerald Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Mendenhall Glacier
    This is a simple bus ride to Mendenhall Glacier with plenty of time to hike to Nugget Falls, tour the gift shop and return. It's a lengthy stay and we enjoyed it for the price value.
    View All 873 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Ketchikan
    We did our own self guided walking tour using the map from visitor center. This is better than tours I have taken in the past.
    View All 1,755 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ketchikan Cruise Port Review
  • Yukon Suspension Bridge
    EXPERIENCE THE YUKON & SUSPENSION BRIDGE is the best value for the day of all sorts of sights and activities. Well worth it. If you take the train, you miss out on a lot of what this tour on coach offers. PASSPORT REQUIRED.
    View All 59 Yukon Suspension Bridge Reviews
  • Yukon Van Tour
    View All 124 Yukon Van Tour Reviews
  • Victoria
    We chose not to pay $16 to get into town. We exited the port area and walked 5 minutes toward Fisherman's Village. We found a $5 (round trip) shuttle (operates on the half hour) to take us into town. Once we walked around town enjoying the sights and beverages, we hopped back on this cheap (but professional and nice) shuttle that dropped us off at the port. This saved our group $60!!
    View All 1,280 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews