3. Ovation of the Seas
I selected this ship for the activities for my grandchildren, ages 7, 8 and 10. They checked out the kids activities program and quickly left. The ship itself is nice and the fact that there is a heated, covered pool is very nice as well. All pool areas have lifeguards on duty. The itinerary was not all that it was cracked up to be as far as the scenic cruising and Dawes glacier. Never did see the glacier at all and the scenic cruising wasn't anything spectacular. I've been on 2 other Alaska cruises, where we went to much nicer areas. Take a cruise that goes to Mendenhall and Ketchikan. This ship does neither. I thought I'd try something different and was very disappointed. There are a ton of people on this ship, but I must say that check-in and getting on board was a breeze, as well as disembarkation. Very smooth. The lines at Guest Services tend to be very long, since there are only 4 positions (6 sometimes), but only 2 people working on average. The cabin was o.k. (we had a balcony on deck 12). No table though other than a tiny one on the balcony and no writing material. The one thing I absolutely disliked was the high cost of everything from additional charges for food (Halibut fish and chips was $5.00) to extremely overpriced wine with no discount for Crown and Anchor members. And speaking of food: I was very disappointed that there was no meal with Alaskan fresh fish on any night. Farm raised salmon was on the daily menu. Shore excursions prices were very much higher compared to other cruise lines as well. Activities such as IFly and Northstar need to be reserved, which wasn't easy. My grandson couldn't take my place on the iFly, because he had done it once before, but I could give my place to a stranger. Really....??? Decided to keep my spot for myself. The cruise overall was "just ok" compared to the other many cruises I've been on. My suggestion: look at other options.

Select another ship for Alaska

Ovation of the Seas Cruise Review by thehens

• Sail Date: August 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony
I selected this ship for the activities for my grandchildren, ages 7, 8 and 10.

They checked out the kids activities program and quickly left.

All pool areas have lifeguards on duty.

Activities such as IFly and Northstar need to be reserved, which wasn't easy.

My suggestion: look at other options.
thehens’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Get Royal Caribbean Ovation of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 1D 12252
The cabin was decent. Didn't need all the closet and other storage space for this 7 day cruise. No table though and no writing material even by the phone.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins