3. River Princess
We are Heritage members and sailed with Uniworld before on the S.S. Joie de Vivre from Paris to Normandy. Our experience with Uniworld in 2017 was exceptional! BUT THIS EXPERIENCE ON RIVER PRINCESS WAS NOT! Front Desk Hotel Manager and staff looked upset and serious if you asked a question. No smiles at anytime. It was as if all of them had some attitudes. The wait staff were arguing at times in their Romanian or Slavic language-you could see the tension. I even had to get up at dinner to ask for water. They forgot my meal and had to remind them but all they always said was it is coming and then they would turn to each other and argue. It was extremely uncomfortable. The dining room was poorly set up not allowing much choices on seating to meet others and definitely NOT what our last experience was. It was a typical dining room as if it were on a Celebrity Cruise. The food on the River Princess was below standard-not typical of Uniworld’s fine culinary fare. It tasted comparable to most large massive mid budget cruise liners. We were extremely appalled that we were served a buffet one evening for dinner. Our Food was served Luke warm or cold at table side. I sent back several dinners due to flavor and being cold. My husband ordered a simple steak and looked grey in color as if they threw it is a broiler and rushed it out. He sent it back. We waited so long for our food to come a good portion of the time. Having to remind them! Never told in the morning there was a special dish. When the omelet station chef overheard me speak to another guest he said there is always a special and showed it to me. When I asked him to order me one, he said, " sorry, you have to go to your table and ask your waiter". The waiter NEVER CAME! I had to flag them down. That was done more than just one day on a 8 day trip. The choices of food served were the same almost everyday at lunch or breakfast. Many times.I had to wait 30 minutes for poached eggs. Poached eggs take 2-3 minutes to make. I made my own toast. The Eggs Benedict in morning was cold and thick sauce I could not eat it. Our tour guides were not the best and rushed us. Even an expert lecturer who traveled on the ship and spoke about the history stopped our guide during a tour and told her she was not telling the history as per the Jewish Heritage Tour it was to be. The ship was old and tired. My advice would be to remove this ship from circulation. It is old and many issues. The trip was from Vienna to Prague. They went to Nuremberg and bussed us to Prague-(4 hours) not given water bottles and stopped 1/2 way to buy some! Our choices of tours were do as locals with a basic walking neighborhoods, biking, hiking in Bavarian Forrest or Pay for other tours that were not worth the money-Especially the Schoenbrunn Palace-we paid 66Euro per person. We were taken to 4 rooms that were an apartment of a Queen who liked tropical islands and murals on walls, no furniture at all to view. Rushe in and out. There maybe 15 minutes it was so small. Took us on a specific tour in a museum to see directly the Vermeer painting a just a few other paintings. Then told to go to the gardens and walk around for 45 minutes in the blaring heat! She was abrupt and she had 45 minutes to herself and she could have let us stay in the museum if we chose too. But we HAD to leave it! We hung around in the heat and had nothing to do. I wrote a letter to corporate office explaining our experience in detail. They had the audacity to insult us with a $150 per person credit on board to be used on our next trip and expires no later than December 2020! Other passengers who had been on Uniworld before and had good experience prior were also upset and said Viking they took once did a better job on food , staff and quality. We are done with Uniworld.

River Princess Staff and ship Fell short of quality

River Princess Cruise Review by jr13160

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Stateroom with French Balcony

BUT THIS EXPERIENCE ON RIVER PRINCESS WAS NOT!

I wrote a letter to corporate office explaining our experience in detail.

We are done with Uniworld.
jr13160’s Full Rating Summary
Get Uniworld River Princess price drops

Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin 1 407
Unfortunately our experience on the Authentic Danube River Princess was below standard and extremely disappointing and upsetting. The River Princess ship was in poor shape. Our stateroom bathroom had chips and cracks, our tiles were discolored in the shower. The bathroom was poorly designed where the towel rack was above the toilet and I had to lower my head in order not to hit my face on it. The bathroom looked old and tired. The beds were extremely uncomfortable and we had to ask for more of a mattress pad. The cabin door was so spaced from the frames which caused massive light to shine through the door at night illuminating our stateroom. We had to use a blanket and my own scarves to as a makeshift shield EVERY Evening to block the light.
Rhine Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Nuremberg
    Went to Rally Grounds with guide by bus, Jewish Museum and rushed that we had to get back-but we did not need to catch a bus since our ship was still there and not leaving right away
    View All 522 Nuremberg Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Nuremberg Cruise Port Review
  • Jewish Quarter
    Our tour guides were not the best and rushed us. Our Jewish Heritage guide in Prague who was rushing us and bypassed the history and information of the area. Even a guest speaker Connie who is an expert and gave lectures on the trip had to stop our guide and explain to her she is bypassing so much history and not even speaking about the jewish heritage.
    View All 6 Jewish Quarter Reviews
  • Regensburg
    We walked around on our won after a tor which was basic.
    View All 517 Regensburg Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Regensburg Cruise Port Review
  • Prague
  • Schonbrunn Palace
    Schoenbrunn Palace-we paid 66Euro per person. We were taken to 4 rooms that were an apartment of a Queen who liked tropical islands and murals on walls, no furniture at all to view. Rushed in and out. There maybe 15 minutes it was so small. Took us on a specific tour in a museum to see directly the Vermeer painting a just a few other paintings. Then told to go to the gardens and walk around for 45 minutes in the blaring heat! She was abrupt and she had 45 minutes to herself and she could have let us stay in the museum if we chose too. But we HAD to leave it! We hung around in the heat and had nothing to do.
    View All 152 Schonbrunn Palace Reviews
  • Walking Tour
    Rushed and were back to our ship so fast we ate lunch and left to see more on our own
    View All 159 Walking Tour Reviews