3. Freedom of the Seas
Our family of 10 cruised out of San Juan for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary and had a great time. Embarkation - We arrived at 10:45am to check-in and it was a breeze. People were there, but there was only 1 family waiting in front of us. We waited around for 15 minutes and they let us in. We spent the afternoon exploring the ship, eating lunch, and it was nice to not be rushing, rushing, rushing in crowds... just taking our time and getting to know where everything was. Room - We had our first balcony and it was nice to have extra room, but I wouldn't pay for it next time. We hardly spent any time out there or in our room. I slept like a baby all week between the beds being very comfortable and the ship rocking me to sleep. I wish the shower was a bit bigger though. Also, the ship is going in for a rehab and it's time for an upgrade. Food & Beverage - The buffet was a typical buffet. I never found anything that ever bit me and said - WOW, I am fabulous. We had dinner in the formal dining room every night and two mornings of breakfast. Our servers were very attentive and everything I chose was outstanding. I thought the variety was a little lax because 5 years ago when we cruised, there was more fish, cold soups, fresher fruit, and things were overall a bit tastier and more appetizing. Maybe the head chef changed? Everyone at our table got an extra lobster tail that night, and sometimes extra deserts. OH, do NOT forget to try the warm dark chocolate chip cookie. Best desert of the week. Not a cookie, but complete heaven. Their beef stroganoff was not stroganoff, so be careful what you think your dinner will be. The pizza shop on the promenade was part of the package (not a specialty shop), but it tasted like frozen pizza so you can skip it. Some bar staff make tasty drinks, others water it down so good luck finding the right person. Activities - Several of us tried the wave runner and rock climbing wall. Those were fun and now I can saw I did those. We played shuffle board, basketball, the pool, several games in the clubs (family and adult). Most times the pool wasn't overly packed, except don't go to the pool on the ocean day - it was packed and just not enjoyable. Teen Club - Be Careful! Our teens enjoyed themselves overall because they met kids their own age. The older child made lots of friends and although I didn't feel comfortable, had free reign to walk around wherever he wanted. I would have preferred adult supervision. The younger child got into a confrontation and started getting bullied and there was no adult around for support, including when it got physical. Fortunately, his brother was around at the time. We got no phone call, just a report from my kids that one was hurt. It's nice to have something like this if it is run right and adults are around to run the activities, not just let them run around. Staff - Everyone we met was very courteous and helpful. We had a special request to have our balcony doors locked so the kids couldn't go out on the balcony while we were sleeping and that was helpful. When one person got sick for 24 hours, the doctor's office was helpful and they took good care of that family member. We always came back to a clean, made-up room and that was nice. Excursions - It was HOT! We sweat all week. Going to a beach? You have to pay $22+ for a beach chair and umbrella or risk getting third degree burns even with suntan lotion on. If you take a van/car somewhere for your excursion, it's the Caribbean and they were all a bit run down, so don't expect too much air conditioning, which can lead to car sickness (1/2 of the 12 on our bus were ready to pass out). Some islands are not as wealthy as others, so don't expect all touristy, rich looking, colorful buildings. It's safer booking excursions than hopping on a taxi where you could get mugged or left somewhere with no help. Many have driving on the left side of the road, so just expect it. Be safe!

We had a great time - all 10 of us!

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by mycoupons12