Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by MooreCruise
- Sail Date: July 2019
- Destination: Europe
- Cabin Type: Inside
Having done three previous ones with NCL my only concern pre cruise was their twenty minute or longer response time to phone calls.( told they'd just hired 100 new staff..WOW!!) But it was a warning in hindsight that NCL does not effectively communicate.
1. Never published use of tenders and or shuttles at most ports
2. To distribute tender tickets at 630 am yet when I arrived then they were out and getting more tickets printed! Asked Cruise Director and she said distributed early. I suggested announcing it and she replied she only does as instructed.
3. Speaking of Cruise Director only job she did was screaming to ask the audience for applauding entertainers. She had a captivate audience to announce port information. Instead there was 2 to 3 lines in the newsletter left each evening.
4. Getting off the ship at each port was problematic. Priority always given to passengers on ship purchased excursions. But that was problematic too as Instead of releasing each tour separately they dismissed everyone at once always creating a bottleneck.
For people departing independent announcement made after hundreds already allowed off because staff afraid of a stampede. Poor crowd control which only built over course of Cruise. One day a passenger dared them to stop him from leaving staying "I've been patient everyday only be to be delayed for my tour !!".
5. Port times shortened...example in Kirkwall published as 7 until 1p. In fact because tender port passengers getting off independently couldn't get off until 9am and had to take tender back at 11am. Why??? Later tenders for passengers who bought excursions from NCL!!! I have lovely picture of people waiting.
I spoke to a lot of folks regarding port issues. Some thought ports shouldn't allow ships to sail in. I view it as the responsibility of cruise line to let passengers know in information prebooking. Is info in contract which says they can treat passengers anyway they want??
7. Returning of passport was a nightmare with folks standing in line for upwards of an hour. At some points was one staff member searching for them. I personally witnessed one staff member searching 15 minutes for 2 passports misplaced while one other staff handling remainder of crowd. Several passengers complained to guest services without any change to the process.
8. Beds were sleeping on hard floors!! But we did complain and got foam which helped minimally.
9. Phone issues..wake up calls couldn't be set.
10. At most ports had to pay to actually get to true port you paid to see!!! Charged $15 !!! Only 9ne port Portland had free shuttle provided by town not NCL!!
1. Food fine and plentiful.
2. Dining room staff excellent.
3. Entertainment excellent.
Some performers had consistently standing room only. One example was Melvin in Henry's Pub. Sad cruise Director never realized so he could have been relocated to large lounge behind casino which was always empry!! Front desk knew!!
As I stated earlier I love to cruise and sad such a great itinerary was overshadowed by poor and or lacking communication. Is it NCL or just management of this ship?!
If a cruise Director responds to a suggestion by saying she does only as instructed it's a fundamental problem!! She represent NCL and she's saying the passengers concerns don't matter!!
Because of NCL lack of response I'm writing this first public review!!
250,000+ people have entered their email