3. Carnival Fantasy
Our summer vacation this year was booked on the Carnival Fantasy July 8th -13th. We sailed out of Mobile, Alabama to Cozumel and Costa Maya. We spent most of our days at the water slides with the kids and laying out. The main pool was very tiny and people were packed like sardines in it...to close for comfort for me! Our first night dinner was in the Celebration dining room and the food was horrible. It took 30 minutes for our drinks to arrive at our table, bread was served without butter(15 minutes for that to arrive) and over an hour for our main meal. My kids ordered the steak and there was so much fat throughout I couldn’t even cut it with a knife. They ended up just eating their appetizer and dessert for dinner. I actually left the dining room and walked down to the main bar to get our second drink order and to inquire at guest services why it was taking over an hour for our meal. The dining room was not busy and had empty tables everywhere. The couple behind us experienced the same issues. By the 4th night I was getting sick of eating the same thing for dinner...they don’t really change the menu. I decided to pay an extra $20 and ordered the filet and lobster. The filet was average and lobster was rubber...I would not recommend spending the extra money. We visited the spa several times throughout our cruise. My daughter and niece got pedicures and the ladies did such a good job I made an appointment for myself and my husband. The spa was running a special for a back/neck/foot massage with hot stone for 89.99 per person. I decided to take advantage and scheduled myself, daughter and niece. The massage was supposed to last for 50 minutes but only lasted 30...a little disappointed but it was a good massage. We also visited the Casino two nights but the cigarette smoke was so bad and no one was walking around taking drink orders so we didn’t stay long. We didn’t end up winning any money but still had fun. The kids played in the arcade a few nights but it was a little pricey. We had three kids with us and each game was $2.00. We were in room E321 and it looked as if the room had not been updated since 1990. We had black mold around our sink, toilet was dirty, fingerprints all over the doors and walls and dirt/dust on carpets. Our air conditioner in the room was working great up until the last two days. There were five of us in the room so we had to request a cot for my 10 year old. This room was the same size room we had last year but we only had four people in it. They basically charged us for five people and never increased the size of our room. The cot was actually a toddler bed so my sons feet hung off the end of it. Our steward was very friendly but not very efficient. He would clean our room and collect the pool/bath towels but never replace the pool towels. We had to call every morning to ask for new towels and were told we couldn’t get any until 8:30 am. Our other option was to head to the main pool area and sign them out. We got off the boat in Cozumel and Costa Maya for a few hours. It was nothing great just a lot of people trying to sell dollar store items. I would never go back again. We were a little leary about eating off the boat so we had bottled water/bottled Heineken and walked around for a little. Thursday evening Hurricane Barry rolled in and it was all downhill after that. We were told the port in Mobile was closed but for whatever reason the captain decided we were going to head there anyway( safety of the guests on board didn’t come into play on that decision) We were due to get off the boat Saturday morning at 8:00 am and the next guests were due to board at 11:00 am Saturday. All day Friday the boat was really rocking. We were eating lunch and the whole display of deserts and plates fell off the counter. It got worse Friday night. There were broken wine glasses on the floor people slamming into the walls and service carts falling over along with pop cans and glasses scattered throughout the hallways. People were throwing up EVERYWHERE! My niece actually stepped in one pile of throw up trying to make it back to our room. My kids were absolutely terrified and crying thinking that they were going to die. I went to guest service to ask what was going on and why we were driving through the storm if the port was closed. They could have cared less! All three workers behind the counter were dancing and singing while the music was playing at the main bar. I asked them to send someone to clean up the pile of puke that was in our hallway but that never happened, it was still there the next day. Saturday we were supposed to get off the boat but the port was still closed. Long story short we ended up having to go back out to sea and forced to spend another night on the boat. We got off the boat Sunday morning and header home but the curse of our vacation doesn’t end there. My daughter got severely sick Monday evening. She could not eat or drink anything without throwing up. She ended up being admitted to Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh for what they say is an unknown virus and dehydration. We were interviewed by the center for disease control while there. It has now been 5 days since we have been off the boat and she is still running a high fever, can’t eat and sleeps all day. We are due to follow up with her pediatrician in three days. I plan to email Carnival regarding the cleanliness of the ship and inquire if anyone else has reported a illness. I am also contacting the local health department in my area to see how I go about reporting this. Update: carnival contacted me and offered me $100.00 credit...what a joke! My husband had to miss 2 days of work and I had to miss 1 day. This will be our last cruise!! I have photos of the puke in hallways, rain pouring in from the stairways when we were stuck in the hurricane, mold in the bathroom and fatty steak. I can’t load them from my phone but plan to post them on other review sites for carnival.

Old Ship - don’t waste your money!

Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by Ahenzler