• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Zuiderdam Review

Editor Rating
32 Awards

Worst cruise out of twenty on which we have sailed!

Review for Zuiderdam to the Baltic Sea
jah112
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: May 2019
Cabin: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Chose the cruise because of the advertised itinerary. HOWEVER, port times were on the average 3 hours shorter than stated in sales brochures. Four ports were on holiday or Sunday-nothing was open, and experiences were limited. Worst--Cherbourg, France docked on Sunday no rental cars were available all tours had been booked before we purchased the cruise, So my plans to visit the DDay beaches and museums were destroyed. The town was closed except for a couple of convenience stores and a few junk shops. I asked a cruise director why we had a Sea day Saturday and Cherbourg on Sunday- She became irate and said you have to be somewhere on Sunday (duh Sea Day). Oslo Norway - holiday everything closed or sold out. and on and on!

Food was very poor quality overall, the Italian Specialty restaurant was a section of the buffet in which they placed a sign, a hostess station and table clothes. The Spa on the first day was a huge sales hustle trying to force overpriced treatments, but they offered same treatments at reduced prices throughout the cruise. A massage for $170. was the worst I've ever had-back was out because of the bed and the person barely touched my back, when I talked to management they said oh well!

The kicker was my Wife left a small box of jewelry in a nightstand drawer. We tried to call from the Airport could not get Through. Tried to call the ship would have cost $8.00 per minute from the first ring. Landed in LA called Holland closed. Called on Monday to report the loss and explained that the only two people that had access were the cabin cleaners. They referred us to a lost and found service which we have contacted several times and received back have not found your item, I ask for a contact with the captain so I could advise him he had thieves on working the ship. Hollands response nothing-no contact information.

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Cabin VB

Nice guys but thieves! Stole my wife's jewelry. Holland did not care!!

Port Reviews

Copenhagen

arrived early and enjoyed the city!

Invergordon (Inverness)

Long bus ride to Inverness, walked the town near the bus station took photos had to return because of the short port time.

Kirkwall

enjoyed town and took lots of photos,

Belfast

transport to town did the on off tour

Amsterdam

Lot of walking just to get to the city from the ship dock,but enjoyed, lots of pics.

Oslo

Holiday everything closed, heavy rain and early out.

Edinburgh (South Queensferry)

Bus to town (Sunday) lots of closures been there before so we just experienced the day, Had a shortened day compared to advertised. long tinder both in and out of dock

Brugge (Bruges)

bus to train to Bruges walked the town enjoyed the experience, except there was confusion about the return train but we and several of the ships passengers solved the mystery. Learned later that there was a terrorist threat against transport in Brussels and that impacted the train system

Cherbourg

Arrived on Sunday after a sea day Saturday. The town was basically closed and all tours were booked. Very poor planning by Holland.

Find a Zuiderdam Cruise from $399