3. Carnival Liberty
We selected this cruise last minute as a birthday celebration and booked it only a few weeks before departure. We booked a Grand Suite and we really enjoyed all the extra space in the cabin. However, there are really no perks to getting a suite on this ship other than a few free bottles of water and priority check in. Embarkation is a breeze with priority check in. We went through security and right onto the ship. Our keys were waiting for us in the cabin. When did turn down service start on the 2nd night of the cruise? One of the biggest problems on this ship is muster drill. They are still lining you up outside in the rain by the lifeboats for 40 minutes. Being unable to manage stairs, we went down early to avoid the mandatory stair trip. So that added even more time to the lengthy stand against the wall with people 6 deep. People that would not shut up long enough to listen to the drill and leaders that did absolutely nothing to control these people. This experience had anxiety attack written all over it. Next we have the unending PA announcements at all hours of the day and night. This is absolutely ridiculous when you are trying to sleep and you have to hear about some activity that you "must" attend every 20 minutes. Or, the employee drills, is there a reason I need to hear this alarm in my room when I'm trying to sleep? Then we have the paper thin walls so that you can hear the toilet flush in the next cabin, or the loads of rude passengers running up and down the hallways and sometimes knocking on your door. Or blocking the hallways with their "get togethers" and impromptu conversations. There is a level of passenger on this ship that is not the norm of cruise passengers and I believe that is due to the price of the cruise and the locale. So, if you are used to a more reserved crowd that knows social etiquette, this is NOT the ship for you. I got to the point where I just didn't want to leave the cabin. On the food, well let's just say this, the grilled cheese on the room service menu is amazing! So, that's not saying much. The lines in the buffet were unending and poorly organized. They need more stations with the same food so that the lines are manageable. I should not have to wait 45 minutes for my runny fake scrambled eggs! They dole out the bacon 2 strips at a time and you have to wait in that line to get it. Or you can be like many passengers that just cut the line. In fact, I was getting my ice water and just about to put my glass on the ice dispenser when a woman jammed her cup in front of mine and took ice. The crowd on the ship reminded me of a frat house party and that is not limited to a certain group. 80% of the ship was at the party! And there was no limit to the amount of poorly dressed people showing all parts of their bodies with pride! The Diamond Steakhouse was nice, but the steaks are poorly seasoned and the lobster, while tasty is small. The Art at the Table dessert was very entertaining and beautiful. Service was also very good here. The Golden Olympian dining room had subpar cold food and the seating was awful. Asking for a table for 2 was futile as the next table for 2 was 6 inches away and so on. The internet on this ship is spotty and you have to reconnect often. Many websites are completely blocked, so be careful which plan you select. I did enjoy having the Carnival Hub on my phone so I always had deck plans and activity lists available to me. If you are used to sailing with more reserved passengers where you get a certain level of service (Celebrity), then this is not the ship for you! I had a run in with a store clerk where the sign on the display read 30% off, however the piece that I selected on that same display was only 10% off. I got nowhere with that person explaining you can't advertise 30% off and then pick and choose which items will be covered unless you list that it's 30% of on select items. The 2 comedians in the Punchliner Club were awesome and we'll be looking them up on YouTube, HBO etc. We saw them all three nights on the ship and each night was different material both family and adult shows. The Rock shows was embarrassingly bad with off key singing, old music and dancing that needs to be updated with more modern moves. As always, waiting for elevators is a challenge and when the door opens you have about 5 seconds to get in or out, because the doors close immediately. Not an exaggeration. Timing issues need to be resolved here so that there are no injuries. Once again, the empty elevator not stopping for you remains a mystery! Disembarkation was a breeze when you have all carry on luggage. We walked off the ship at 7am and went through customs and on to the car in about 15-20 minutes. There is a lot of walking so that would be most of the time. For a 3 night cruise, it's amazing how few people have carry on luggage, so crowds were not an issue.

Carnival is a Carnival

cruzinwchris’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Liberty price drops

Grand Suite
Cabin GS
While the cabin is large, the decorations and furniture needs an update. The bed is comfortable but the vinyl stiff sofa is useless unless you like sitting on a brick. The TV remote rarely worked and the DVD player couldn't even be plugged in. I broke a bracelet in the dressing room and I had to get on hands/knees to recover all the stones. Being so close to the carpet made me realize just how dirty it was, especially in the corners and back against the wall areas.

The shower/jetted tub was almost impossible to get into having a bad knee. Hanging on for dear life was required. The force of the water in the shower is sad and took extra time to rinse all the soap out of my hair. There is no working electric outlet in the bathroom.

The deck chairs are amazingly comfortable and it was nice to sit on the deck in the evenings and watch the stars go by. However, sitting on the deck with the sun out was impossible with the sun beating on you and no breeze. Nothing that can be done about that and after 26 cruises it was no surprise. But I still tried and lasted all of 10 minutes.

The walls are paper thin as previously mentioned so you hear everything going on in the cabins around you and in the hallway.

For the amount of money we paid for this short weekend cruise in a Grand Suite, the level of detail, service and amenities did not match.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins