3. Columbus
I chose this cruise for a couple of reasons - I wanted to go to Norway (and none of my friends did!), I wanted a UK departure and, I wanted a smaller ship. I also have rheumatoid arthritis, hence why I preferred not to fly and this was perfect. This was my first cruise so I wasn't sure what to expect. I absolutely loved it! I met a lot of very interesting people and we ended up sharing our cruise together - mainly in the bars and restaurants. I was very impressed with the arrangements for solo travellers - the company works hard to make them feel welcome with welcome drinks, lunches, dinners etc...and it worked. It was unnaturally hot for Norway, so the pool area was very busy - I gave Bergen a miss as didn't fancy a tour in 35 degrees. Norway in a Nutshell tour is well worth doing - the views are mind-blowing. Flam railway is great fun! If walking is a bit of an issue (it is for me) - it is quite a walk to the hotel in Voss which the company doesn't warn about. It may depend on where the train from Flam stops though. I probably wouldn't do the tour to the dam again - I would stay in Eidjfiord and have a wander. All the bars are great - I visited every one frequently. The cocktail list is extensive. I chose the premier package that includes tips, drinks, wine etc...and definitely don't regret it. It is great value. The food isn't five star - but neither are we paying for five star. It was fine though - desserts provided much amusement trying to guess what they tasted of. Some people complained that the food should be better - bear in mind, that going to a Michelin restaurant costs around £250 per person upwards and that will manage expectations. My happy place? Sitting at the back of the boat behind the Plantation buffet - having either breakfast or dinner with a beautiful view of the fjords - priceless! I loved it! Already booked another and I got home less than 24 hours ago.

I had an absolute blast!

Columbus Cruise Review by Wendywoodles

I loved it! Already booked another and I got home less than 24 hours ago.
Wendywoodles’s Full Rating Summary
Get Columbus price drops

I was surprised by how big the cabin was. More than adequate space to hang clothes and loads of drawers both by the hanging space and in the dressing table. The cabin was at the front and high up - apparently not great location should you feel a bit sea sick.

• Eidfjord
    Stunningly beautiful. Ship berths against small quay. Just a very short walk to disembark and you're in the village
    View All 161 Eidfjord Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Eidfjord Cruise Port Review
  • Flam Railway
    Flam railway was part of the Norway in a Nutshell tour. It's about a ten minute walk to the railway station, but there are benches if you need to rest on the way. The steps to the train are deep and steep - I have RA so walk like I'm drunk as no stability and very little strength. But, it's worth doing this - people will help you balance etc...if you're stuck. This is a fabulous trip and really worth doing if you can.
    View All 185 Flam Railway Reviews