Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by JoeHaligonian

• Sail Date: Dec 2018
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Balcony, sheltered

This is my third transatlantic crossing on board Queen Mary 2. I've gotten to know the ship very well and the quirks of the ship. I enjoyed the cruise a lot, but perhaps not my favourite transatlantic crossing.

Ship: She is a beautiful ship, her public spaces are spacious and the art deco decor is nostalgic and hearkens back to the golden age of ocean liners. You never feel that there are too many people on board

Fellow passengers: sociable and friendly, no major issues

Cabin: The cabins show a bit of wear, especially in the bathroom

Dining: I felt there was a lot of pork this year, I felt in past years there were more beef options.

Activities: Afternoon tea: always a classic event on board QM2. It happens daily and great afternoon activity

Fitness opportunities: The gym isn't particularly big but if you enjoy running, running on the promenade deck is always enjoyable.

Entertainment: Cunard Insights (Lectures): very good, a lot of interesting lecturers and topics, always something I look forward to attending while on board / Evening Entertainment: like always, nothing spectacular, but Cunard is not known for their singing/dancing shows.

Service: Service on board was good. I've gotten to know a few of the crew, and have my "favourite" bartender that has served me on all my QM2 voyages.

Port/Shore Excursions: N/A since this was a transatlantic crossing.

Value: As a luxury cruise, it is not the cheapest cruise but I enjoyed my time on board and I didn't splurge this year or try to hold back either.

Would I go again: At the end of the voyage, I didn't think I wanted to do another transatlantic crossing in QM2 again since I felt I had done all that I could on board, however, given that I'm booked to do another QM2 transatlantic crossing in August 2019, I guess I really enjoy my time on board.

JoeHaligonian's Full Rating Summary

Balcony, sheltered
Cabin BC 11077

Good high deck midships balcony cabin. I like something high deck (I want to feel the ship move). I never feel I maximize my use of the balcony during a December transatlantic crossing because it is rather chilly outside. This was my favourite cabin selection of all my QM2 voyages so far.

Southampton

Boarding is always a nightmare. The lines are long, but there was hot cider available.

New York (Manhattan)

Disembarking is always another nightmare as the lines to clear customs takes forever. I took a transfer to downtown Manhattan. Slight delay because the bus driver didn't think he had all the booked passengers, but everyone was actually on board.

JoeHaligonian