3. Norwegian Epic
We had looked forward to a wonderful vacation, visiting great places with friends. The ports of call did not disappoint but the Norwegian Epic was an 'epic' failure. We have traveled extensively and we know that not everything can go right, but we are baffled at how Norwegian Cruise Lines stays in business. We were looking forward to letting everyone know of the great cruise we had but unfortunately that's not the case. Here are the highlights (lowlights): 1. Food at the buffet breakfast was the same EVERY day. Horrible. One day I took a plastic cup for orange juice and there was lipstick on it. Awful !!! The sit-down restuarants were good but service was often very slow. Cagney's and La Cucina were the exception - they were very good and servers were very friendly and attentive. 2. The adult pool was incredibly small - any more than 10 people was a crowd - and we could never find a deck chair in that area. Very poor. 3. On our excursion to Pisa and Florence, the tour guide insulted my wife and then proceeded to tell stories about Asian tourists in Florence. Very rude and can't believe Norwegian would contract with companies that hire this type of employee. 4. On the final day of our cruise, there was a gasoline spill on deck 15. Fumes were released into the ventilation system. My wife and I awoke to the fumes. My wife became light-headed and nauseated. I tried calling the Medical Center but no one answered the phone. I called the operator and was told that "they are aware of it. Guests should leave their room or go out onto the balcony for fresh air". I proceeded to take my wife to the Medical Center where we we greeted very rudely by the receptionist who offered my wife Tylenol but wanted us to pay for it!! She was still not feeling well so we were taken to an examining room where a nurse and doctor examined her, took an xray, EKG and bloodwork. All tests thankfully were negative but the experience was horrible. I went to the cruise desk to discuss the situation and was eventually taken to discuss what happened with the General Manager Nelson Martins. He was very sympathetic to what happened and promised to let me know the outcome of his investigation. I spoke to him later in the day and he met us in the Taste restaurant. He provided a letter explaining that if we wished to pursue the issue further, we could contact NCL Guest Relations. Gee, thanks! We can now spend countless hours on the phone with NCL Guest Relations, write letters and in the end maybe get a small credit towards a future cruise. Thanks, but not going to waste my time. We wouldn't consider cruising on NCL ever again anyway. 5. The ship in general feels very overcrowded. There is very limited space for quiet relaxation on deck. The staff was overall not friendly and most of the time we did not feel that we were welcome on the ship. 6. The layout of the stateroom was awful. Toilet area separate from the shower and basically exposed to the entire cabin with no attempt in the design for privacy. Storage was minimal and somewhat hidden. We found some cabinets above the bed on our last morning while packing to go home. The curved couch was not only uncomfortable but basically not usable for seating since it is very narrow. The person who designed the room should be fired. 7. We discovered that some elevators did not stop at Deck 5. This was very inconvenient and was not at all marked on the ship. 8. As part of our 'deal', we received the Ultimate Beverage Package. It included soda, juice, wine, and other alcohol drinks with top shelf liquor. The only thing it didn't include was WATER !!! Norwegian is happy to get you sloppy drunk but if you are interested in staying hydrated and healthy after touring some cities during July summer heat, sorry - you need to BUY bottled water. I understand cruise ships have limited space and bottled water can take up a lot of storage area but you would think a multi-million dollar corporation would be able to figure this out and provide water to its customers. VERY POOR. 9. We would rate our overall experience at a 3 on a scale of 1 (very poor) to 10 (excellent). The only reason the rating would be that high would be because of the ports of call and all they had to offer. If we had to rate the NCL Epic and its staff, the rating would be a 1. This is a wonderful part of the world to experience - we would just recommend not using NCL as your cruise line.

Worst experience ever

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by maltieri

maltieri’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BB 13185
Poor layout. No privacy when using toilet or shower. Sofa is a waste. Storage is minimal. Balcony nice.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins