Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review
1,547 Reviews

Good, but not very good.

Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by bayareacruiser6

• Sail Date: Jul 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Suite (No Balcony)

I was traveling with family members who had never cruised before. We wanted to experience Europe and this itinerary seemed like a good start. A cabin was available that had two bathrooms and would comfortably fit all 4 of us, two adults and two teenage girls. The cabin number was 8000. This cabin is unique to just a few ships for Royal Caribbean. There wasn't much information on this. It's called an Ocean View no Balcony and is now considered a full suite, with access to the concierge lounge, breakfast in Chops and some other suite perks. The cabin is located next to the bridge and below the Windjammer buffet. I was worried about noise being an issue, but that was never the case. The room was spacious and comfortable, but the décor was definitely dated.

The concierge lounge offered a continental breakfast, afternoon snacks, and evening happy hour. The lounge was a nice quiet area to gather before heading to dinner. The concierge Alan was wonderful. He arranged tours for the bridge, galley and theater. He quickly seemed to learn all the guests names and was ready to help solve any issues we might have. I can not say enough good things about him. He is the best concierge I've ever encountered on a cruise.

The cruise started in Venice so we arrived a couple of days early and got a lovely apartment through Airbnb in Cannareggio. We used the water bus and the people mover to get to the terminal. The people mover station was absolutely chaos on embarkation day as several ships were departing that day.

The first stop was Split. It's a lovely seaside town and it was a fairly easy walk from the ship. Lots of GOT merchandise for sale as part of the series was filmed here. We were told that although Croatia doesn't use the Euro it would be accepted in Split, we found this to not be the case and had to change some currency.

Our second stop was Athens. I had arranged a private tour through PK tours and was extremely happy with the driver and the private guide for the Acropolis, they were both wonderful and I would highly recommend this company.

The last stop was Katakolon. After visiting Athens and planning on going to Rome for 3 days after the cruise, we decided not to venture to Olympia, which is 30 minutes from the port. We chose to just walk around the small town. This stop seemed like a wasted port day on such a short 6-night itinerary. Other passengers we spoke with seemed to feel the same way.

We purchased the 3 speciality dinner plan and tried all three restaurants. Izumi was a big hit with our family. Chops was so-so. Nothing special about it. We were all very disappointed in Giovannis. The food was so bland and the cioppino was served luke warm and the restaurant itself was just not kept very clean.

Two of us participated in the Chef's Table. Next time I would save my money and pass on this. It's a wine paired dinner, but they used very low end wines to pair with the courses.

I was pleasantly surprised however by the quality of the food and the service in the main dining room on the two nights that we ate there.

We purchased the internet package for 4 devices and had horrible issues even trying to connect. There was a spot near the door in our cabin that we could sometimes get service, otherwise we roamed around the ship looking for a spot with a decent signal. It made communicating with loved ones back home very difficult. We tried getting this issue resolved a couple of times, but finally gave up. This was absolutely a waste of money to purchase this service.

We only went to one of the evening shows, which was a magician. He was pretty good.

We engaged with several friendly staff members in the Schooner Bar and the activity staff were quite friendly as well.

After the cruise ended we had booked the train to Rome, I was concerned about walking to the train station with baggage, so we got a taxi from the pier and went to Mestre station instead and boarded our train there.

Overall, the new cruisers were content with their trip. I would give this cruise a rating of 3.5.

bayareacruiser6's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View Suite (No Balcony)
Cabin VO 8000

This cabin was a big reason I chose this itnerary. There were four women sharing this cabin, so having two bathrooms and a separate space for the teenagers saved our sanity.

Athens (Piraeus)

We did a private tour with PK tours and would highly recommend them.

Venice

we arrived 2 days early and rented an apartment through airbnb. It was located in a great location and nice to have laundry available before getting on the cruise. /we did a tour through the Roman Guy and found it enjoyable.

Split

This was a lovely town with some fun shops to visit. It was nice being able to walk to the heart of the city without having to take a taxi.

bayareacruiser6