• Newsletter

2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: May 2019
Cabin:
Tara was so cold waiting for someone to come to our room to adjust the ther

We departed from Jacksonville, FL and went to Nassau and Freeport. We left Thursday afternoon and returned early Monday morning.

My friend and I are both wheelchair users. In order to help preserve the health of my shoulders, I rented a motorized scooter and left my chair in the room as I used the scooter to get around on the ship and for land excursions.

The wheelchair accessible room we had was SO small. It clearly didn't start off as a w/c accessible room but rather it was updated to be up to ADA code at some point. Both of our wheelchairs and scooter didn't fit in the room so my wheelchair had to spend the entire time on the balcony. Not exactly the end of the world but it was an inconvenience and a surprise that an ADA room was not big enough to accommodate 3 mobility devices.

Cabin Wheelchair Accessible Balcony

If my wheelchair wasn't taking up room on the balcony and I was able to get out in the balcony it would have been impossible because like I mentioned, it used to be a regular room. The original layout had about a 1-2 inch lip leading out to the balcony which they "fixed" by affixing a piece of plywood to create a "ramp". It was the same deal with the bathroom. Completely unsafe and difficult to navigate.

Regarding the bathroom, the toilet was VERY low which is a safety hazard for someone who is paralyzed. There is a reason why wheelchair accessible toilets are up so high.

The beds were another issue. We literally SUNK into the bed. It was like being in a waterbed. It was difficult to roll over and even to sit up from laying down and neither issue was due to our disabilities.

One other thing was the location of the thermostat for temperature control in the room. It thermostat was ON THE CEILING. In a WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE ROOM. What were we supposed to do? Fly to the thermostat? Our room was freezing so we call guest services and they said they'd be right up. So we waited a while as we realize we're not the only disabled passengers on the ship. When a half hour passed by they were like "OMG we are so sorry. We'll be right there." Well, "we'll be right there" was another half hour. VERY poor planning on Carnivals part on placing the thermostat on the ceiling

Carnival REALLY needs to up their game when it comes to making their staterooms wheelchair accessible like their website says. To say we were disappointed is an understatement.

Our room was U224 just to warn you.

As far as the rest of the cruise it was fine. Super friendly people and wonderful employees. Our waiting staff in the dining room were awesome and always provided a fun dinner.

3 Helpful Votes