• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

Tudzino
First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Apr 2010
Cabin:

It has been awhile since the three of planned a cruise together so we were excited to FINALLY be having a getaway together! A long trip across country to San Diego and we were on our way. I was impressed that such an expensive city offered the parking at the port for MUCH less than Miami does. Embarkation was smooth. Missed the bells and whistles that the new port in Miami has but to be honest the basics we got in SD were less frantic. We arrived about 11:15 and were on the boat and at the Lido by noon. Note to first time cruisers don't forget to pack or wear your bathing suit. That way you can be poolside waiting to get your bags delivered to your stateroom!

Once on board, bellies full we got down to some Vit D soaking up. Why is it the sun feels so much better on vacation?? It was a vacation week for many areas by the number of kids on board. It was also for some reason the first time in 6 cruises that we got a good glimpse as to why CCL has not such a great rep. The ship was brimming with young 20-ishers- 30'ers that had only 1 thing in mind to do...DRINK. I am all for enjoying and kicking back but the level and sheer numbers of obnoxious drunks was beyond what was able to be dismissed and "kids" having a good time. Our threesome is in their mid forties and enjoy kicking back a few but honestly...before embarkation there were more than a handful that were so drunk they could hardly stand, very loud and disruptive as well as rude to fellow cruisers and staff. Put a sour taste in ours and others we spoke to mouths before we even set sail!! Unfortunately it continued for the whole cruise. We attempted to enjoy the Serenity area but it was filled with young obnoxious drunks. The hallways loud at late late hours due to the same, stumbling back to rooms. Much more than our other cruises have had! I could go on forever. You get the picture so enough said.

The room was an inside cabin, our first. It wasn't bad because we hardly were in it. I suggest if you are thinking of going the cot route...DON'T. It was very very uncomfortable and was left in the room for the duration making the room space VERY tight. I was under the impression that they would just bring it in for turn-down. WRONG!

Mid ship and inside cabin, Main Deck for the first time. Not much noise at all from above or below ..only hallway full of obnoxious drunks each night. Decent storage but found that the beds were somewhat lower than on the other CCL ships we have traveled on and our bags that normally would slip under the bed didn't fit this time. Yes, they were the same bags :o) Liked the darkness but had to rely on the camera shots on TV for seeing what the weather was like outside. Main was deck 5 so even though I ordinarily wouldn't think of being " so low down in the ship" it really wasn't bad. Felt the rocking but less than higher and outside rooms we have had in the past.

Bathroom was ample. Shower was great. Enough room for a "fluffy" lady to take a shower and be able to move around and reach with out hanging out of the shower. Vanity area with plenty of space as well as a medicine cabinet that was huge!

Room was ample for two...actually was okay for three except the cot was cumbersome to have in there, even folded up for the duration. Night time with the cot we were able to have a small pathway from all three beds to get to the bathroom without climbing over someone in bed. The ledge space and bathroom cabinet space was more than enough for three women...nuff said! :o)

Port Reviews

Cabo San Lucas

Cabo was clean, friendly and easy port side. Tenders to shore were quick and staff pleasant. We had chosen a CCL excursion but saw many different companies offering a huge variety. Another reason why was we were off the ship first and MUCH faster than the REALLY REALLY long line of those going out on their own. We did see a few water taxis rushing at the ship because people had missed the last tender!! Not something we wished to chance so the few extra bucks were worth our piece of mind!! The excursion Land's End Boat, Beach and Shopping was okay.

Cabo day was perfect weather. We picked the safety of a CCL excursion. Land's End with shopping. Liked the " Catamaran"..was basically a big motor boat...was expecting a sailing/netted floor type. They saw whales in the distance and brought us out to them. Sweet bonus! Beach time...good meal. Beach okay. It was nice not having vendors in your face while you were soaking up the rays. Shopping? We ended up at a MALL. Not what we were planning. We wanted the touristy type vendors we could bargain with..like the ones at port. We did have time there before the last tender so it worked out.

Boat as described above was great!! Beach was clean with clean bathrooms, pleasant staff and yummy food! Shopping...not so good. I wasn't on vacation to got to the mall! There were some touristy stores. One that tried to get me to take peso's for my change....that were actually worth only a fraction of what the correct change in dollars would have been. " We don't have American change"....right....Guess you lost my sale...and when I caused a scene " discussing" what was occurring while I was in line and leaving the store several shoppers said they weren't going to be cheated either and left without buying a thing!

The tour guides were fun, friendly and very appreciative of our tips. Remember to have a few singles on hand. Almost everyone you come in contact with will expect something. Its a personal choice but I only tip when they go beyond what would be expected. Just remember the singles...

previous reviewnext review