3. Celebrity Equinox
We were looking for a relaxing vacation and a cruise out of Florida seemed like a good choice. We live east of Orlando and could drive down the day before, stay in Ft Lauderdale and have a nice dinner that night. Our stay at the Hotel Morrison in Dania Beach was great; not too expensive, good location, and a well maintained and clean hotel (highly recommend if you need to stay in the area). Dinner at Kelly's Landing, a nice relaxing seafood restaurant in Ft Lauderdale was very good too; a great start to our cruise vacation. Embarkation went very well. We moved through the process with relative ease. Being Concierge class sped up the process. We were able to get our cabin right away, dropped off our carry-on luggage, and proceeded to the Concierge luncheon in the MDR. This allowed us to avoid the craziness that often occurs in the buffet when people scramble for tables and camp out until their cabins are available. As mentioned in other reviews, the menu for the Concierge luncheon is very limited; Celebrity could do a better job here. The nice thing was comfortable seating in a relaxing environment. My wife and I were travelling with my brother and his wife; we've been on over 20 cruises and they have cruised well over 30 times. This was my 2nd time on Celebrity Equinox; I'm not a big fan of the layout of Celebrity ships. I prefer the open areas on newer, larger ships and feel the Equinox is too compartmentalized; it's like walking through mazes. The ship was just reconditioned and was in beautiful shape. It's just not my style ship. It was difficult to find a quiet place on the ship to read. During the day, it was too hot on our balcony, so I went to the library. It was extremely noisy, so I went exploring. The best spot I found was the Sky Lounge on deck 14 at the front of the ship; large and at times not being used for other activities. The Dining on the Equinox had highs and lows. Breakfast on most mornings was in the MDR; the oatmeal was wonderful. French toast and a side of bacon was usually my preference and was always prepared just right. The service in the MDR each morning was great. We ate two mornings in the buffet and the egg and omelet station was very good. My wife didn't care for her scrambled eggs from the buffet, usually cold and not consistent between runny and well done. We ate lunch in the buffet each day. The selections for lunch seemed to be mostly the same from day to day. They had an international section that I don't think ever changed. There was a sandwich area that was always chicken salad, tuna salad, and egg salad. The variety in the American type food area was usually "chicken this and chicken that" with one or two pork or beef items thrown in. The greatest variety was in the dessert section where each day there appeared to be new choices, We weren't impressed with the buffet. The MDR menu was fairly limited, some nights good, some not so good. You could always order either salmon, broiled chicken, or steak from the standard side of the menu. Portions were the right size, not too much or too little, and we did get a second lobster tail on lobster night. We tried only one specialty restaurant, the Tuscan Grille, on our second night which was also our 51st anniversary. My wife order a filet and I a rib eye; both were ordered as medium cooked (pink in the middle); both arrived raw. They took them back for additional time on the grille; my wife's steak came back medium well and mine was well done (tough and tasteless). We expressed our dissatisfaction to our waiter, but even after the head waiter came over,nothing was done; needless to say, we weren't pleased with our $45 dinners. The Entertainment in the Theater for the most part was excellent. The comedians were funny; the guest singer gave a very good individual show, and the December 63 (4 Seasons songs) singing group was very good and entertaining. I wasn't impressed by the ship's singers and dancers, though their acrobats were good. They put on two shows; one a little bit better than the first. Activities on ship were limited unless your activity was drinking; there were plenty of lounges and plenty of guests enjoying their drink plans. The singing groups that performed in the atrium each evening were very good and played a nice range of music. Most ships offer a variety of Game Shows for passenger participation; Celebrity offered one on most days, sometimes two. Their big problem was the location for such game shows. They held them in what was little more than a hallway on deck 4, with seating for about a dozen people. Most ships hold them in the Theater and Atrium where seating is readily available and all interested passengers can attend. This was a big disappointment on Equinox. The Service on Equinox was first rate. Our cabin steward, I Made (pronounced "E Mah Day"), was fantastic. He was pleasant and accomodating at all times. Our cabin was always made up and every request was quickly taken care of. We couldn't have asked for a better cabin attendant. Out wait staff in the MDR was equally as good; Fabian, Edward, Denis, and Olivera were wonderful. They quickly learned what we liked and most times had items to us before we even requested them. I can't say enough about their service; definitely 5 star. We didn't take any excursions as all of us have been to these ports several times before. Most days we walked through the port shops and did some shopping. Overall, the cruise was relaxing and we enjoyed ourselves. I prefer the new, large ships and all they offer. We're scheduled for MSC Meraviglia in October from NYC to NE/Canada and Symphony of the Seas in February for Eastern Caribbean; those ships are more to my liking.

Relaxing, But Came Up Short

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by jgallagh1944

jgallagh1944’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Concierge Class
Cabin C3 9271
We were in a balcony cabin on deck 9, port side, in the back third of the ship. The cabin design was nice. There was ample storage space because of the availability of the two cabinets above the bed. The bathroom was ok; the shower pod was a little larger than normal, which was nice. The balcony was a good size; the downside being Celebrity got rid of foot rests when reconditioned ship. The foot rests would have been nice. Beautiful flat screen TV, but terrible choice of channels. There were no family type programs available; we had ESPN, cable news channels, HGTV, and Celebrity on-ship information channels; worst TV we've had on any cruise ship, even on our 2 European river cruises.
Sky Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins