We chose Celebrity because our travel agent recommended it for fewer children travelling and a slightly more upscale experience. We upgraded to the premium drink package for an additional $10 per day which turned out to be a good investment since it included all of the specialty coffees and premium drinks at no additional cost. We sampled only one specialty meal (Tuscan) which turned out be be good not great. The embarkation and disembarkation were suprisingly easy and smooth. We were eager to start our cruise and got to the terminal about 1/2 hour before the official start time for embarkation. Fortunately they were already processing people in and we were on board in under 15 minutes. Disembark was almost as easy although customs lines were a little slower.
We planned/scheduled our own excursions and all turned out to be great. In Ketchikan we used Islands Wings Service and flew with Michelle to the Misty Fjords. Beautiful flight and all of the passengers wear headsets so the entire flight is narrated by Michelle. We landed on a fjord lake and coasted up onto a beach. We had time to take pictures and explore a little before heading back. Michelle is a very experienced pilot and I would highly recommend this trip with Island Wings. In Juneau we went out whale watching (~2 hrs) and the visited the Mendenhall glacier/Nugget falls (~1.5 hrs). We used Juneau Tours and were very happy with the experience. We got lots of video of humpback whales and were somewhat rushed at Mendehall since the last visitor bus left at 7 pm but we had enough time to make it to Nugget falls and take the pictures we wanted before catching the last bus of the day. I was probably most surprised by how much we enjoyed our excursion in Skagway. We signed up for the Yukon Dog Sledding Adventure with Skagway Day Trips and Skagway Scooter. Our driver/guide Mikey was enthusiastic and a pure pleasure as a guide. I don't recall any guide previously making us feel as if our enjoyment on this trip was the most important thing in his day. Our dog sledding excursion involved a comfortable van ride to the Yukon (~ 2 hrs) with stops along the way for waterfalls, glacier pictures and finally to the Tagish Lake Kennel where we got to hold husky puppies, play with older husky puppies, have a Q&A with Michelle Phillips an Iditarod musher before taking a husky pulled cart (think Polaris 4 wheeler) ride. You find out that these cart rides are part of the husky pairing process, conditioning, and evaluating which dogs work best together. If you take this excursion and have Mikey as your guide and you like dogs I guarantee you'll have a good time.
- Room was larger than expected.
- Service was 1st rate everywhere on the ship.
- Nightly theater entertainment was good. We saw a comedy show and a couple of musical/dance shows and all were good.
- Gym was good. I saw several whales jump while walking on the treadmill.
- We are coffee drinkers and the 5th floor coffee shop is Celebrity's version of Starbucks (with alcohol drinks too). On sailing days this was a great place to hang out and read your book or surf the internet. Our package came with 1 device unlimited internet and most of the cruise I had good service on my Galaxy S10. My wife's Apple iPhone for some reason didn't seem to connect as well to the internet. When you are in port service wasn't as good but we have Verizon phone service and we could use Verizon in all of the ports.
- Martini bar was fun each evening before dinner
- Breakfast buffet was probably the best meal of the day for us. Omlettes and fresh squeezed OJ (premium drink package) were good. Good selection of fruit too.
- Room service Turkey BLT & fries with a salad was lunch most days.
Cons: Dinner meals were just OK. We always found the starters preferable so we would order 2 or 3 starters for most of our meal and then typically salmon. I tried the steak in the dining room a couple times and at the Tuscan and all were just average at best.
Unfortunately even though we took this cruise for the expectation of less children the couple next door had 2 (sounded like 15) kids who apparently had brought jack hammers with them and the noise was quite loud at times. Since we weren't in the room all that much it wasn't that big of a deal. As for the room itself I would definitely recommend a port side with balcony. Even though the weather was chilly at times having the balcony to view Endicott Dawes glacier allows you to avoid the crowds along the rails top-side for the people that can't see the glacier from their room. We brought binoculars too which was nice to zoom in on the wild life and glaciers.
Professional pilot great excursionView All 166 Misty Fjords Flightseeing Reviews
Could have used a little more time at MendenhallView All 971 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
Saw a number of wells but crew kind of goes overboard on requesting Trip Advisor reviewsView All 906 Whale Watching Reviews
Mikey the guide made this trip alot of fun with his enthusiasm and knowledge of the area. The photo opportunities and the Kennels along with the ride were a blast.View All 163 Dog Sledding Reviews