Carnival Splendor Cruise Review
1,446 Reviews

Great family time. Teen put his phone down!

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by iCommodore

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: the Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

There was 5 of us. Two adults, two kids, and grandma. Everyone had a fantastic time.

We purchased Faster to the Fun (FTTF). Worth every penny, especially for the tendering priority at Cabo. We were in the first group on embark, had immediate access to our cabins, dropped our luggage, and were on the Lido by 11:30.

From then on our was one pleasant surprise after another. We found the food to be very good, and the choices plentiful. We ate breakfast or sea day brunch and dinner in the MDR every day. Our waitstaff was outstanding. Quickly learned or preferences and had a second shrimp cocktail on standby for the 14 yo.

Our steward did a great job. Room and bath were always clean, beds made. He knew we went through lots of towels and we never ran out.

Best thing is that 98% of the staff seemed genuinely happy and interested in making sure you're were having a great time.

DW and I did the Chef's Table. I don't want to tell how good it was... But, it was an amazing experience. One of the most memorable meals of our life. Anthony, the Splendor's Soux Chef spent 2.5 hours with our small group of 15. Described every component of every course (11 in all). Educated us about the techniques and chemistry of the food preparation. He made it a truly amazing evening!

Entertainment on the ship began and ended with Lee our indefatigable cruise director. There was so much to do! You've got to let go of you FOMO on this cruise. Great music throughout the ship. We enjoyed the various trivia contests, loved the comedy shows (both the family friendly... But especially the adult ones later in the evening... OMGosh!) One of the highlights for me was spending alone time with my 14 yo watching the "dive-in" movies. It was such great bonding time. There were a number of times (other than at meals) that I actually saw him NOT starting at his phone. Dad for the win!!

Ok... That's it for this little novel. We all had a great time. Jo Bob says check it out!

iCommodore's Full Rating Summary

Balcony

We had a regular balcony on deck 8. It was under other cabins on the Lido deck. We found it quiet and comfortable. My MIL had an inside cabin, unfortunately under the very front edge of the open Lido. She had noise until 11 or midnight a couple of nights.

Cabo San Lucas

I first visited Cabo in 1997. It's really gone downhill, especially in the last 5 years. Just an open air mall for ripping off estupido gringos.

If you must, shop in the low-slung, very Mexican market right behind the Marlin statue in the harbor. Just try to enjoy the haggling. It's a game for them. Learn a few phrases in Spanish (like: I wish I could pay you that much for this!) And for goodness sake never pay more than half their initial price. Start with a third and bargain up from there.

Mazatlan

It was hotter than hell. We took a nice, air-conditioned taxi around town. Don't pay more than $15 per person. Went to ask the sites. Ate some tacos with the locals. Took photos of the suicidal cliff divers. The driver said if I didn't drink Pacifico at all times while sitting in the front seat need hey in trouble with federales. We couldn't have that, he was a nice guy! I forced myself.

Puerto Vallarta

Our favorite Port. Again hired an air conditioned taxi. Drove out to the Malecon. Took a little stroll, saw and took photos with all the status. Are lunch at the save rest as on our honeymoon 20 years ago. Drove through the jungle to where Niggt of the Iguana was filmed. Beautiful bay. Our driver was a great ambassador for his city. My wife didn't fly, of she did we would definitely fly out and vacation at one of the resorts on the drive out. Instead I'll just have to contribute cruising... Ho-hum.

iCommodore