3. Carnival Sunrise
Before I get into the pros & cons of our cruise let me state that anyone who takes a Carnival Cruise and has a boring time or is left hungry it's your own fault!!! We are just short of being Platinum guests and we have experienced many levels of satisfaction on the Carnival ships we have sailed. We have been away from Carnival for two years due a very bad experience (Splendor) and Carnivals lack of concern. We (5 family members) are on the fence about next year. What we missed about Carnival and the reason we booked this cruise was that when you ended your cruise you left family behind. You really get to know your cabin steward, wait staff and ships crew. In this, the Sunshine did not disappoint. PROS We booked two Ocean Suites (7312 & 7314) the cabins were a first time experience as we always book balcony cabins. The cabins were a real treat and the cleaning crew on deck 7 was absolutely fantastic! Dining on the first day left us feeling disappointed, it was not what we were used to aboard a Carnival ship. However, they stepped up their game on the following days! The additions of Guy's Burger Joint and Pig & Anchor Smokehouse was a big plus. Having the option to order from the Steak House in the dining room was a good move! We did not go to any speciality restaurants this cruise due the good food & service in the dining room and we have eaten in them all on other cruises. My only disappointment was that I did not get the opportunity to eat at Bonsai Sushi. Entertainment aboard ship is plentiful and sometimes hard to decide between them all. Cruise Director Chris (The Flying Dutchman) was the best and most likely the top Cruise Director of any ship. CONS All the hype about the renovation of the Triumph into the Sunrise makes you believe that you are sailing on a new ship. Understand that when you book a cruise aboard this ship the renovation was mostly the addition of cabins that left little space for all the guests and many of the guests areas reduced in size. There are plumbing and hardware problems in the cabins. Indicators that much was left alone. Next to us was a Grand Suite that had a balcony door that slammed and a large family that oped and closed the door all through the day and late night. When it slammed close it shook two cabins (4 in total) adjunct to it. Our pleas to fix the door went unanswered. The toilet in our cabin (7312) did not always flush right away. Most of the time it would flush 1 minute after you pushed the button. This too went unanswered. Many of the windows on the ship have paint splashed on them. You would think that a 220 million dollar renovation would include the scraping of the new paint off the glass! On an 8 day cruise we ate at the buffet (Lido Deck 9) once.This was due the agonizing slow and long lines. Trust me, on a cruise you expect to stand in lines but not like these! I timed my time in line and it took me 8 minutes just to reach the plates and another 7 minutes at the food selection. The design of the new buffet area was extremely poor for a cruise line that specializes in moving large numbers of people. We were told that Carnival was aware of the problem and was making corrections. When? Deli was the same, always a very long line and slow service. You could not get a hotdog anywhere on deck 9 except the deli. Yes, I only had one hotdog in 8 days. Stay off deck 9 to eat and go to the speciality restaurants or the dinning room aft. Serenity area for adults was a bust! very small and no shade! Again due to max profit of cabins over the guests comfort or spaces. There is also a noticeable reduction of crew. Fewer bartenders and servers, many bars are closed and only open for short periods. Will we sail aboard the Sunrise again, no. The Carnival Victory is a sentimental ship as it was the first ship cruised from. It too is about to undergo a renovation and come to NYC in July of 2020. I hope Carnival does not make the same mistakes with this ship. Overall, Carnival gives you the best deal for the money you spend. I'm critical only because we are Carnival cruisers and as such see the changes.

Sunrise & Sunset