3. Grand Princess
I wanted to try Princess out of SF and since I had never been to Alaska this cruise filled two bucket list check boxes! I was a little concerned about the age of the Grand but she is in fine shape. She has some age related issues but nothing that affected our enjoyment.I have been on other ships that had more visible wear and tear. We got to the port just before noon and dropped our bags w/ a porter. We made a little mistake when getting our parking reserved. We did not realize the garage we selected was all the way down by Pier 39. It was such a nice day we made the best of the hike back to the ship after parking. Only ran into one crazy aggressive homeless guy on the way back. When we got back to the ship we were able to go strait on and our bags were already at our mini suite. This was a huge surprise! I have never had my bags at my stateroom so fast. We got a little snack and I got my first cocktail while we waited for muster. Muster was super smooth.. for us. Of course some missed it and had to do a late muster. After muster we were under way! We were headed toward the Golden Gate and it seemed like everyone was on deck filming and taking pictures. It was such a beautiful day. Right as we got to the bridge the ship blasted its horn, and my camera battery died! Talk about timing. The gopro I was using was brand new and I had not figured out how to work it.. I did not know how to turn it off. We were in club class but we did not know where to go. Our sale cards indicated Anytime and we were instructed to wait at Michelangeloes. The wait was about 40 min which I thought was weird because I was sold on Club Class being such great service. Turns out we went to the wrong place. After dinner we were wondering around and I found the "Club Class" dining entrance. When we found the Club Class dining we were invited for breakfast. So the next morning we stopped in. More on that later. I'm an early riser. I am normally up between 4 and 5 AM so I also hit the sac early. When we hit the sac for the night I was surprised how comfortable the bedding was. Dang, my 2000 dollar mattress is a dog bed compared to this bed! The comforter was way too warm for me and I was never able to get the thermostats to really control my room. I'm an HVAC control technician so this kinda bugged me. I was either too warm or too cold. The couch needs to be replaced as the seats sink and your legs end up on the wooden frame. Our room steward was FANTASTIC. Leonardo was like a room cleaning ninja! I would put the card in the lock for service my room and BAM when I got back he was done. The little mini suite was just the right size to have my daughter and her friend over for a late snack and a chat. The view from the 9th floor room was wonderful We seen whales breach right out of the cabin window! When we finally got to the Club Class dining room we were met by a very nice lady Renatta who addressed us by name every day. Giovani would make sure we got a great seat w/ no waiting. I have never had a head waiter cook for me. Giovani was a fantastic cook and host. His entire team went over and above to make sure we were happy. One night I ordered a Lagunitas IPA as I had seen it on a menu when I boarded. He came back with Lil Sumpin Sumpin. This is the same brewery but the wrong beer. When I told him it was wrong I thought he was going to die. It was very hard to get the poor guy to stop trying to bring me something else. If you can try Club Class dining. There were a lot of kids on board and I don't sit in kid soup.We never got a chance to sit in any of the hot tubs. We had so much fun in port. Alaska was AMAZING! I have video of 100+ foot tall sheets of ice calving from the Tracy Arm. The whisky in Haines was great and should be tried. The wildlife refuge in Haines is not to be missed! I am still blown away at the level of knowledge and commitment to the animals the rescue. The staff is informative and entertaining beyond imagination. They were so good, when I'm done here I am going to do my first trip advisor review. Ketchikan was a lot of fun. We visited another wildlife refuge and got a lesson in local ecology in the most beautiful place on earth. While we were there we were visited by a wild black bear, eagles and salmon. As we were leaving I met a local blacksmith that makes knives onsite from recycled ball bearing from mining equipment! He makes fantastic tools at a price so good I had to have one. This was a fantastic trip. I met super nice people from Cruise Critic and all over the world.

Where have you been all my life?

Grand Princess Cruise Review by martinm

• Sail Date: July 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

martinm’s Full Rating Summary
Get Grand Princess price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MD D503
The cabin was fine but the couch is worn out. These are the most comfortable beds I've tried anywhere!
Dolphin Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins