3. Norwegian Epic
We wanted to stay in Rome for a few days following the cruise so we opted to board there instead of Barcelona. Rome was great even though we were on the cruise during a record breaking heat wave. Embarkation went smoothly. Other cruise lines hand out glasses of champagne but not this one. We were able to get to our room right away and bags were waiting. That was a plus. We didn’t make reservations for any shows . I didn’t like that aspect. I’ve not had to do that in the past on other ships but I’m sure it’s because the theatre is a lot smaller. I really didn’t like the ‘bathroom’ set up. Our adult daughter was staying in our balcony cabin so it was a bit awkward. We were told the ship was designed by the French and that is a standard design. The pools for 4000 people are ridiculously small. The adult pool has no shade to sit and with it being so hot, shade would have been nice. And it was so small that with just 5 people in it, it was FULL!! The drink package was a perk so we didn’t pay extra. There were no drinks off limits as long as it would have been less than $15/glass for mixed drinks or wine. Other cruise lines, even the drink of the day was an up charge. The way they called the shore excursions was very disorganized. The people didn’t listen to what the crew was saying about lining up and when the tender had a problem in Cannes, France which made all shore excursions leave late the poor girl (she had no crew to back her up) was doing her best to calm the crowd. All in all we had a good time on the cruise and the ports were extra special. Especially Pompeii and a side trip to Sorrento. That is one beautiful city!! The shops were nothing special. They did not sell bottles of duty free alcohol. We went to 3 specialty restaurants. Moderna is the Brazilian restaurant. 12 different kinds of meat and baked pineapple with brown sugar and cinnamon. Instead of the offered dessert we asked for the pineapple on ice cream. That was no problem and they served it with a smile. The next one was Tempanyaki. OMG. The filet mignon was sooo good. Probably the best meal I’ve ever had on a cruise ship. The last was Cagneys. The steakhouse. It was good but for my money I’d do the Japanese again and again. The main dining room, Taste, the food was good but service was slow. It took 2 hours for the meal. That’s crazy. The other main dining room was The Manhattan. Same food but service was faster. The buffet was usual. Nothing special.

Ship design leaves a lot to be desired

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by lv2quilt

lv2quilt’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 11186
The room was listed for 3 people and it did work but just barely. Maybe 2 adults and a child but not 3 adults. The bathroom was less than optimum. Very absurd. The toilet area is basically see thru and right next to the entrance into the cabin.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins