3. Seven Seas Mariner
We have completed 13 Regent cruises (with 222 nights), and was surprised with a poor review on Cruise Critic from one couple. We were on that same Regent Mariner cruise and had none of the 'problems' described--we adapted to changes that we could not control. Both Regent and we could not control the weather. First--If they did not like their multi-hour air-schedule, it can be changed. We were scheduled on an overnight flight from Vancouver to NYC but we changed it to an early afternoon flight that got us home. Regent’s initial late-day flight selection gave guests the opportunity to take a tour of Vancouver! Ask, and Regent changes the air flights--yes it cost a little money, but we are Platinum level, and one flight schedule change was allowed. Second—This was a relocation cruise--we expected multiple days at sea. We were scheduled to have 5-days-at-sea, and we had 6-days-at-sea, when we bypassed the Russian port. There were wonderful lectures by Hugh Neighbour and Karen Dodd. There were extra social events added to entertain the guests. If you were bored, that was your fault. Third--YES, we skipped the Russian port. Their comment that “ALL OF THE GUESTS WERE UPSET” is very unfair and UNTRUE. There were 50-knot winds over the deck--added to the forward speed of the Mariner, it gives a 75mph deck wind. The decks were closed for outside walking. My wife and I exercised by walking the interior walkways on various decks. There were 23 feet swells. We had very wet and salt encrusted balcony windows, which were cleaned at the next port. I enclosed two photos of the TV screen in our suite showing these numbers. The Mariner has stabilizers, I knew of no one who was sick from mal de mer. The captain/master changed the direction (and avoided the worst of the storm). I saw him at the Coffee Connection, and thanked him, for consideration of the safety of the guests. After his direction changes, we then had MUCH weaker winds, and less than six feet swell. [I BELIEVE that the Mariner was originally scheduled to use their tenders to transport the guests to and from shore at the Russian port. With a pitching sea, it could be a human disaster! On two previous Regent cruises (Amalfi coast, Italy and Galle, Sri Lanka), the Captain declared that the sea was too rough to have guests enter the tenders and we skipped the port!] Fourth--We had great weather on all Alaskan ports; but it rained at Ketchikan, as usual. We did not see the Hubbard Glacier because there was very dense fog. Many guests, including me, stood on the top deck and got wet from the weather. Regent did supply snacks and hot coffee for those awaiting a breeze to dissipate the fog. After about an hour of only seeing sea-ice, the Mariner left Yakutat Bay. The weather then was fine, at distance of about 10-miles where some wind, and a change in air-temperature resulted in no fog and a blue-sky. When the ship was docked in any Alaska port, we often sat outside in the sun on the pool deck for lunch and enjoyed the snow covered mountains, numerous playful otters, eagles, (once saw some orcas playing by our ship), and had another great meal. I know of no one who used the pool, but the hot tubs were used by some. I really cannot understand such a negative review--but it was from one couple. We have three more Regent cruises booked, and look forward to the ship, food, staff, and meeting other well-traveled guests. It is a pleasure to be take care of by Regent. I would highly recommend cruising with Regent for those people who enjoy “joie de vie”.

Great cruise, great itinerary, great ship from Tokyo to Vancouver

Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by Maj16801

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Transpacific
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Suite
We have completed 13 Regent cruises (with 222 nights), and was surprised with

a poor review on Cruise Critic from one couple. We were on that same Regent

Mariner cruise and had none of the 'problems' described--we adapted to changes

that we could not control. Both Regent and we could not control the weather.

First--If they did not like their multi-hour air-schedule, it can be changed.

We were scheduled on an overnight flight from Vancouver to NYC but we changed

it to an early afternoon flight that got us home. Regent’s initial late-day

flight selection gave guests the opportunity to take a tour of Vancouver!

Ask, and Regent changes the air flights--yes it cost a little money, but we

are Platinum level, and one flight schedule change was allowed.

Second—This was a relocation cruise--we expected multiple days at sea. We

were scheduled to have 5-days-at-sea, and we had 6-days-at-sea, when we

bypassed the Russian port. There were wonderful lectures by Hugh Neighbour

and Karen Dodd. There were extra social events added to entertain the guests.

If you were bored, that was your fault.

Third--YES, we skipped the Russian port. Their comment that “ALL OF THE GUESTS

WERE UPSET” is very unfair and UNTRUE. There were 50-knot winds over the

deck--added to the forward speed of the Mariner, it gives a 75mph deck wind.

The decks were closed for outside walking. My wife and I exercised by walking

the interior walkways on various decks. There were 23 feet swells. We had very

wet and salt encrusted balcony windows, which were cleaned at the next port.

I enclosed two photos of the TV screen in our suite showing these numbers.

The Mariner has stabilizers, I knew of no one who was sick from mal de mer.

The captain/master changed the direction (and avoided the worst of the storm).

I saw him at the Coffee Connection, and thanked him, for consideration of the

to use their tenders to transport the guests to and from shore at the Russian

port. With a pitching sea, it could be a human disaster! On two previous Regent

cruises (Amalfi coast, Italy and Galle, Sri Lanka), the Captain declared that

Fourth--We had great weather on all Alaskan ports; but it rained at Ketchikan,

as usual. We did not see the Hubbard Glacier because there was very dense fog.

Many guests, including me, stood on the top deck and got wet from the weather.

The weather then was fine, at distance of about 10-miles where some wind, and a

change in air-temperature resulted in no fog and a blue-sky. When the ship was

docked in any Alaska port, we often sat outside in the sun on the pool deck for

lunch and enjoyed the snow covered mountains, numerous playful otters, eagles,

(once saw some orcas playing by our ship), and had another great meal. I know

of no one who used the pool, but the hot tubs were used by some.

I really cannot understand such a negative review--but it was from one couple.

We have three more Regent cruises booked, and look forward to the ship, food,

staff, and meeting other well-traveled guests. It is a pleasure to be take

care of by Regent. I would highly recommend cruising with Regent for those

people who enjoy “joie de vie”.
Maj16801’s Full Rating Summary
Get Seven Seas Mariner price drops

Deluxe Suite
Cabin E 863
Suite is smaller than the other Regent ships, but still quite roomy. Suite was drafty early in the trip when the outside temperature was 35-40 degrees and it was quite windy. Excellent for sleeping, but a little chilly during the day. A few days into the trip, weather improved and we no longer had any problems.
Deck 10 Suite Cabins