Avalon Visionary Cruise Review

Avalon Visionary Cruise Review by gerryv85234

• Sail Date: Jun 2019
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Outside Stateroom with French Balcony

Bucket list trip to see Budapest & Prague for my wife & I, we have taken 4 ocean liner cruises but this was our first river cruise. We arrived in Budapest the day before the cruise started & we arranged for Avalon to transfer us from the airport to the hotel. The morning of our trip departure Avalon had a bus shuttle us & many other passengers from the hotel to the Visionary ship. Check in went smooth and we were very pleased with the cleanliness of the ship & our cabin. The daily Happy Hour (HR) was great with drinks 1/2 off, & the service during HR was excellent & since there's only (1) bar we were able to meet new people & make friends. Overall the dining was pretty good & the service was outstanding, the entire staff went out of their way to accommodate you. I loved the sauerkraut soup but that was the only soup I liked, if I had to give a bad grade out it would be for the soups, they all tasted like potato water, & the couple of nights we had seafood it was nothing special & the desserts could have been better. We tried different wines every night and most of them were very good.

Shore Excursions were very good, of course some of the guides were better than others. It was a very busy day doing the included shore excursions in the morning & then going out on (3) of the optional afternoon excursions. It was so nice that Avalon had a "gentle walkers" excursion group for those that moved slower. It seemed like we stayed very busy getting up early for the morning excursions, attending the nightly next day info meetings during HR, then dinner was 7-9, so every day we felt like we were on a schedule. I would have liked more down time cruising on the river taking in the sites and I didn't like it that we couldn't sleep with the patio door open at night due to the bright lights from going thru the river locks & waking up docked to another ship right outside our window blocking any potential view.

Unfortunately several people (12 that I know of) caught the chest respiratory bug that was going around, including myself and several people we met including my wife had to seek medical treatment & were bed ridden for a few days. Maybe adding another hand sanitizer station after you walked into the dining would have helped, but this is always a concern when you have 120 people plus staff contained on a boat. We stayed in Prague an extra day & also arranged for Avalon to transfer us from our hotel to the airport & again the driver was friendly & prompt. In summary it was a nice vacation and I would do another river cruise with Avalon now that I know what they’re about, they are very accommodating & much more personable than the ocean liner cruises.

gerryv85234's Full Rating Summary

Outside Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin P 310

The cabin was laid out very efficient & the way the bed was arranged made it easy to get in/out by the wall & the bathroom was large for a boat.

Culinary Tour

Really enjoyed our guide & tasting the local meats & cheeses.

View All 17 Culinary Tour Reviews

Enjoyed this tour much more than the included city tour, our guide was great and we tasted some delicous sausage from a street vendor & breads from a bakery.

Old Town Tour

Nice tour of old city.

View All 70 Old Town Tour Reviews

Very hot day for a tour but we took in some great sights

Prague Castle

There were so many people there touring the castle.

View All 26 Prague Castle Reviews

Terezin was a very good tour but a sad place to see.

gerryv85234