• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Viking Modi Review

-- / 5.0
Editor Rating

Staff wonderful, but beware what Viking promises

Review for Viking Modi to Europe River
HeatherLynn702
6-10 Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: Jun 2019
Cabin: Deluxe Stateroom

Just returned from 14-day Amsterdam to Budapest with 3-day Prague extension. I've done a lot of cruising, so was really looking forward to Viking's "superior" experience, and was really disappointed.

The ships' crews were great. FYI, if you're on the Modi or Skirnir, there's a broken lock on the Main, and they'll give you 48 hours notice on an "unfortunately" announcement about switching ships (we docked at Nuremberg, toured, and were bused 3 hours to Regensburg, where we boarded the Modi with a new crew, same room, etc.). Transfer was handled smoothly, but they've been doing this since lock broke on June 5th - they should be more up front about it.

Before I booked the 3-day Prague extension, I read that Viking promised train transfer, but used people. When I booked, I was assured we would transfer by train. Not true - was a 9 hour coach ride, which the onboard guide told me they'd been doing for 5 years. Also - that's your whole first day. We got in at 5 p.m. and were exhausted. Hotel about 2 mi out of old town Prague, so long walk. For what we paid for that extension ($699 per person), I could have put us on train for the 2.5 hr ride, and a closer hotel, at half the price tag. Again, my main gripe is the build-in dishonesty about the company.

Response from VikingS, Community Team

Thank you, HeatherLynn702, for your kind words towards our staff and for taking the time to provide a detailed review of your recent Viking journey. Even still, your disappointment in our Air...

Deluxe Stateroom

Cabin E

Small but efficient cabin with window but no opening window or balcony (was twice the cost).

Port Reviews