3. Viking Modi
Just returned from 14-day Amsterdam to Budapest with 3-day Prague extension. I've done a lot of cruising, so was really looking forward to Viking's "superior" experience, and was really disappointed. The ships' crews were great. FYI, if you're on the Modi or Skirnir, there's a broken lock on the Main, and they'll give you 48 hours notice on an "unfortunately" announcement about switching ships (we docked at Nuremberg, toured, and were bused 3 hours to Regensburg, where we boarded the Modi with a new crew, same room, etc.). Transfer was handled smoothly, but they've been doing this since lock broke on June 5th - they should be more up front about it. Before I booked the 3-day Prague extension, I read that Viking promised train transfer, but used people. When I booked, I was assured we would transfer by train. Not true - was a 9 hour coach ride, which the onboard guide told me they'd been doing for 5 years. Also - that's your whole first day. We got in at 5 p.m. and were exhausted. Hotel about 2 mi out of old town Prague, so long walk. For what we paid for that extension ($699 per person), I could have put us on train for the 2.5 hr ride, and a closer hotel, at half the price tag. Again, my main gripe is the build-in dishonesty about the company. The stops on this itinerary were all great, and local guides were usually pretty good. Service on Skirnir was mediocre, but food was great. When we switched to Modi, service was excellent, but food was mediocre and we started skipping meals. Do not use their add-on "flight concierge" service. We paid for it, to get window/seats together, and to avoid the east coast airports. Flights changed 7 or 8 times (airlines and/or connecting cities). When I went to check in, I had to pay Delta and additional $54 for a window seat because flight concierge completely doesn't keep up on your reservation and preferences once they make the original booking. Not worth it. Last complaint is about the almost daily reminders from our tour director that we could tip extra for excellent service. We pre-paid the $20/day per person gratuities so we didn't have to worry about it. But the daily hustling and reminders from Wez were tacky and uncomfortable. I thought that was really unprofessional for a supposed "luxury" company. We know we can tip extra for great help (and we did) - but the daily harangues were off-putting. My sense is that regardless of what Viking promises, all these river cruises are basically the same level of service/food/experience. Go with a more economical line, and be wary of extensions.

Staff wonderful, but beware what Viking promises

Viking Modi Cruise Review by HeatherLynn702

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom

HeatherLynn702’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Modi price drops

Deluxe Stateroom
Cabin E 111
Small but efficient cabin with window but no opening window or balcony (was twice the cost).
Main Deck Outside Cabins