3. Norwegian Breakaway
We were so excited to go on a cruise. We planned shore excursions for each port, got the drink package for on boat fun and were ready for a lot of fun. The excursions were awesome, every one was fun in a different way. But the service on the boat was terrible. From day one we were not treated nicely by the outside bartender at Shakers. Because we had 7 days and the drink package, we decided to give each bar on the ship a try at some point. Everyone that worked there seemed miserable, with the exception of 5 employees. Everyone seemed overworked, no one went out of there way to be nice. When the bar was slow, we’d try to talk to the bartenders and it seemed like we were a bother. We were never drunk and with both of us being in the service industry we know how to treat people with respect. At the restaurants the servers were short with us, rude at some points. Like I said, there were 5-6 people that were nice, respectful and tried to make sure everyone had fun. May Ann and Juliet in the Manhattan room remembered us by name, they were always laughing and smiling and fun and happy to be around. Also, Hector, James and Jason at the Vibe Bar area... they always kept us laughing and they were nice to be around. Finally, Bernicio was the housekeeper for our room, he was super fast and respectful. He said good morning to us every morning and for them we were grateful. Room service however was a joke. We tried to order at least 4 times. The first time they told us 45 mins, we waited for over an hour and a half before trying to call them. They didn’t answer and we had to go to guest services to even just cancel it. The next 3 times we tried to call the phone rang for over 3 minutes without an answer so we decided room service wasn’t for us. My aunt is a diamond cruiser and she let us know this is not how it usually is, and this isn’t the treatment I received on my last Carnival cruise. I am not sure if it was because the people were overworked and tired, or if it was because we are a young same sex couple. Either way I thought it was insane because had the service been what it should be the cruise experience would have been elevated to another level. The only other thing that was upsetting is that everything comes with an additional cost, the Ice Bar has a cover charge, iced coffee has an added cost... and so much more. I can order $12-15 patron shots all day long if I want but I can’t get a $3 iced coffee without it being added to my bill. The way they keep people separated by $$ was sad also, there were 4+ restaurants we didn’t try because of the $70+ additional cost for the two of us, the Vibe beach club was for people that want to pay $200 more per person for the week to be separated from the rest of us, and the Haven for the wealthy, they have their own elevator, restaurant and pool and never need to associate themselves with the likes of the rest of us. As if all of the rest of us didn’t pay enough as it is to come on the cruise, we are made to feel worse than the people who spend more for them to get a better experience. The Wi-Fi was overpriced for the connectivity I received. We were in a window cabin on the 13th floor at the very front of the ship. I paid the $200 for unlimited Wi-Fi because I knew there may be times that I’d have to work on my vacation. To say it was slow was an understatement. It would barely connect in the room, so if I had to work I’d have to bring everything down to a common area downstairs work then bring everything back to the room. It was inconvenient for the price charged. The internet manager was a joke and said he’d reset it, but nothing changed. Like I said previously if it weren’t for the 5-6 people we named earlier the entire experience on the boat would have been extremely upsetting. The people at the ports were extremely friendly, the ports were clean and the excursions were fantastic. The ship, could not compare to the people we met off the ship. The public bathrooms on the ship were not kept up late at night, they were dirty or out of paper towels or toilet paper. All in all, the cruise was disappointing, but the ports were extremely fun. We will cruise again, however it will not be with Norwegian.

Sad how bad the service was, Ports were beautiful

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Kla082

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window

Kla082’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window
Cabin OA 13702
The cabin was clean and spacious. It was a beautiful room. It was big enough for the two of us with room for everything we packed. The room was impressive.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Costa Maya
    This was going to be a port where we did nothing, but with the excursion credit we had, we figured we would book this excursion. I'm so happy we did. It was extremely relaxing, from the face mask to massages to the steam. The only thing that could have possibly made this excursion better would have been if the surrounding area was a little quieter, and if I took advantage and paid for the extra massages. The excursion and experience was incredible. We walked out feeling a sense of peace. We spent the rest of the time at the port in the pool, eating the BEST tacos, trying a local beer and doing some shopping.
    View All 12,636 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • ATV Adventure
    The ATV ride was fun, we rode for a while, they gave us fresh bandanas and it was an easy fun ride. Our guide were funny and friendly, they took time to explain everything and talk to us. The Cavern was incredible, it wasn';t huge but it was really nice. There a small cliff ledge to jump off, it was a little terrifying for me but I did it. And once I did I felt incredible. What you can't see from the dock is the thousands of fruit bats that call the cavern home. Caesar was one of our guides. He told us about the area and the village. The villagers that own the shops just want to make you happy and make some money themselves. Better than shopping at the port.
    View All 104 ATV Adventure Reviews
  • Harvest Caye
    Belize was nice and the people were nice however the reef was nothing compared to Honduras. Everyone was friendly, they want you to have fun.
    View All 1,103 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Roatan
    We were supposed to do the dolphin encounter, however the dolphin went into labor, so we chose this excursion. We were able to go snorkeling, hold baby monkeys, and see other wildlife. They fed us lunch and had wonderful local beers on draft and in cans. A great day, all of the employees were friendly, they talked to us about local life and the island. There were imitation ruins to walk around, a beach area for lounging and beach chairs in the sun and shade for preference. They had the boat going back and forth to the port every 30 mins so you chose when you're ready to leave. We had a great time.
    View All 12,636 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews