3. Norwegian Breakaway
Out of all of our cruises this was my least favorite for food and room. This is going to sound like a review and you think I'm a negative person but I really have had great experiences on cruising we just didn't care for the megaship and NCL food. We could squeeze by the end of the bed to get to the balcony but the balcony was so tiny! Plenty of storage in the room. Plenty of fun things to do on the ship - you'll never be bored. Note due to wind doing the ropes course could be tricky so I would try that first thing. Our major hangup was the food and we didn't do specialty dining. We thought about buying specialty dining once on board but the restaurants we wanted to frequent were booked solid unless you want to eat at 930/945. Even the 5 was booked. It was spring break so if you are going on a sold out ship - make sure to book and reserve early if you want specialty dining (which you will want...the food in the main dining room was such a let down.) We ended up eating off buffet or O'Sheehan's many times just to avoid the MDR food. Something that was nice - there was never a wait for a table in the MDR - not once. The service was indifference. They did exactly what they should do, never smiled, never did less, never more. It was the oddest service we've ever seen. On all of our cruises the service has always been outstanding. I have always been in awe of how pleasant the staff is. If you have a reservation for the escape room show up 45 minutes early. They will start giving your reservation away 20 minutes early. And don't wait in the line - go up to the guy and have him check your name off the list...if you wait in line they assume you didn't check in and they give it away. Again, staff could care less they gave it away. "Sorry you didn't check in"...that;s because we were in the huge line passed the elevators waiting to check in..."well we made an announcement"...of which we cannot hear because we're in the line far away around the corner from your voice. Wow. One staff sent us one way when we had a certain color for tendering - one staff sent us the other - then another back the other way. No one knew where what color went (which we knew we were supposed to go to the theater but they kept redirecting us). Later we heard it was the staff's last week and were getting off for new rotation. Maybe that's why? I'd be done too...I don't blame them. It was just odd all the way around. NOW this DOES NOT include staff in the buffet....the staff in the buffet were singing, smiling, high fiving, coming by to take dirty dishes...again smiles, helpful. It was like walking into a different cruise compared to the rest of the staff. They all went above and beyond. So odd! People are everywhere...forget about finding a seat in the main atrium area for any events unless arriving very very early. The private island was awesome. Beach is gorgeous, water is clear, pool is nice and clean. Great service, decent food. You will need a credit card they won't charge to your room. Plenty of chairs to be found. If you want a sunbed, prepay they were sold out. Great way to spend the day. In Cozumel my husband's a diver and went diving while I took kids to Sky Reef for snorkeling and Punta Sur for the gorgeous beach. We've been before. Both great options to spend the day. Last time we did Chanakanaab and enjoyed that as well. We've stayed on the island for land vacations for 18 years so we're familiar with the island. It's very safe and easy to get around. In Belize we did an excursion to Hol Chan which is NOT to be missed! We had been before we did a land vacation to San Ambergris and we were more than happy to return. We also hit Caye Caulker which was a cute little stop but can be missed if considering. In Costa Maya we went to Jaime's Blue Reef for the day ala carte and just ordered drinks and food off the menu. You don't have to pay for a chair to do this. It was a great way to spend the day. Plenty of shade and in March there was no sargassum thank goodness. Rock of Ages - I don't recommend this for any child under the age of 16-18. Note - girls dancing in thongs, language, etc. Overall, ports were fantastic - 5 stars! Ship entertainment - plenty to do - 4 stars. Food - 2 stars. Rooms - 2 stars. Kids club - mine are 10 (twins) and they went a couple times. They enjoyed when they took them to teen club. NOTE - for spring break (soemone else posted the math) there were X number of kids on board and they can only take X kids....this turned out to be 10% of kids on board. Something to consider. We were turned away multiple times due to capacity. If you are counting on kids club during spring break - don't. Wasn't an issue for us but might be for others. We got a really good last minute rate for this cruise (we decided to go less than 3 months prior or less I believe) and so overall value for $ was top notch. Embarkation and disembarkation was EASY PEASY and very fast. If it hadn't been for the food we would go on NCL again. For now, we'll stick with other lines. The food was a deal breaker for us - again maybe not fair because we didn't try the specialty restaurants. (We also found out our ship failed their inspection the day we boarded due to flies around food, etc. which grossed me out even more). If we went again we would need 2 joining rooms or a larger option than a balcony room. We had did balcony guarantee (due to last minute) and ended up in 12298 on 12 aft - no issues with noise or motion. I was worried about being on a floor with kids but didn't need to be - no noise at all. We were able to use our HDMI on back of TV to stream thru our Netflix, etc. with no issues by changing input on TV. Internet package was never slow - worked well. NO wifi on priviate island.

Fun ship with lots to do, balcony rooms are small and food is sub par

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Texasgingerbread

Great way to spend the day.

Texasgingerbread’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BX 12298
Room was SMALL. Squeeze by end of bed to get to balcony. Bathroom and shower totally fine and good. PLENTY of storage we didn't use all the storage and there were 4 of us. Definietly bring magnetic hooks we used our for lanyards, wet swimsuits, and hand towels. Shampoo was fine for the kids but I ended up using my own. We were able to use our HDMI on back of TV to stream thru our Netflix, etc. with no issues by changing input on TV. Internet package was never slow - worked well. NO wifi on priviate island.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins