3. Marella Explorer
We chose this cruise mainly for its itinerary and the dates it went on as we had a very limited time window to go away in. We have been with Marella before, a few years ago, and really enjoyed our last cruise around the Adriatic on a smaller ship . We are a fit and healthy couple in our late 40s and early 50s and travelled as a solo couple, no children or friends with us..although we made plenty of friends on board. I am very surprised on reading the reviews on here how negative some people are about the Explorer and its staff. We embarked at Newcastle and didn't have to wait too long before boarding, and I would say we were probably there at peak time. There were seats to sit on and drinks to be had , we merely had to wait for our number to be called. The same goes for disembarkation, which went very smoothly and was very well organised especially when you consider the amount of people Marella has to disembark from the ship. We were told a time slot and that was in fact the time we disembarked, with time to have a farewell breakfast in the restaurant beforehand. The ship was bigger than the last one we went on and at first we weren't sure about it. The layout is a little confusing but once we were used to it we found our way about pretty well. I would say we were amongst the younger people on the ship although we are not young, the passengers were predominately older than us, in our late 40s. Our cabin was very quiet but we never bother with a balcony , just a window, and we were on deck 4 in the middle. We didn't pay extra for a specific cabin and I think were lucky as some passengers we spoke to did suffer with noise in their cabin. We did feel a very slight bit of vibration when the engines were put to full power, but the Captain also mentioned they were having trouble with a clutch on one of the engines. In my opinion engine noise on a ship is perhaps to be expected, it' isn't a hotel on dry land, it's a moving ship powered by engines on the ocean! Our cabin was very stable in the high seas, and the North Sea did get a bit turbulent on our voyage! Space wise, we thought our cabin was big enough and it had a lovely big window We had drop down bunk beds too so I think it may have been family cabin. Plenty of wardrobe space and hangers...always a big plus in my book! Hairdryer worked well, there was a kettle and cups and teabags/coffee/milk were replenished at least once a day. Toilet rolls were also kept topped up by our steward so we had at least one in reserve and usually more! Seating....I am amazed that people have mentioned a lack of seating. Both us, and other passengers who have been on other Marella ships, thought there was plenty of seating to be had, and in addition a plethora of sun beds...which pleased me as I hate having to worry about getting a seat/sunbed. We could always find seats somewhere...might not have been your first choice but again, as I say, we were there for the itinerary and voyage, not for a good seat in the lounge, We had a nice cabin to sit in too, with a television. Other people who had been on different Marella ships told us some of them DO suffer from a lack of seating, particularly those with a very large central atrium, which might look impressive but takes away from seating areas. We didn't use the pool but it's a reasonable size for the ship. The leaving party could get a bit loud, so loud it was distorted at times, but again, you could get away from it on other decks with sunbeds and it only lasted half an hour. We did watch one outdoor film in the pool area one sea day and as it was a bit nippy on deck a couple of members of staff came round with fleece blankets. Now that's personal customer care! Other areas such as the Squid and Anchor , Bar 53, the Lounge, Indigo were all nice areas to sit in. If you couldn't get a seat in one you could get one in another. Cleanliness of the ship.....the staff were always cleaning on the stairs which have glass sides. In fact they seemed to clean all the time, although our cabin steward could have vacuumed our cabin perhaps a little better....but he did keep us topped up on tea bags, milk and loo rolls as I mentioned so that is more important to us! Public toilets in the ship were always clean as was our personal one. Food...the food was excellent, top notch. We didn't bother paying for the additional restaurants such as the Sushi or Surf and Turf but friends did and raved about them. For us the food in the dining room where we ate every evening was excellent. Service was pretty good too. Someone commented there were more tables for 2 than on other ships, although you could choose to share bigger tables. The dining is flexi in the main restaurant as it you turn up and sometimes wait a few minutes to be seats, but in the Italian, Vista and the Tapas you have to book but it was easy to do so and provided you did it in advance there was plenty of choice. You could turn up at the |Italian and book but might have to wait half an hour or so in the bar with a buzzer, which went off t=hen the table was free. We ate in the Tapas bar, the Italian, the main restaurant and the buffet Market place, although didn't eat in the latter in the evening. Portions were just right, everything was hot and water and wine were kept topped up as needed. If the water was a bit slow to be refilled at busy times (this happened only once) you only need ask a waiter and it gets topped up very quickly. When you consider the amount of people they are serving they do a simply amazing job. Again, it is a ship, and if the food in the Market Place is a bit samey, it's still good and a lot of it is baked on ship. They don't re stock with food and ingredients during the trip, it is all taken on board at Newcastle. Staff...the majority of the staff were lovely, happy, polite and willing to go the extra mile. There was the odd one or two which weren't, I can only agree with other reviewers on that, compared to the other Marella ship we went on where all the staff we encountered were bouncy, happy and friendly. However, it is a new ship to the fleet and a lot of the staff were very new so perhaps not a very tight team yet and have yet to settle. We found the odd...and I do mean odd in a large team, waiter perhaps a bit terse, and there were a couple staff on the security team as you go in who were a little terse and rude, one woman in particular. I realise they are on security but the security staff on our other ship were always smiling and customer friendly A please and thank you and a smile is just natural courtesy, although to be honest it could be a culture difference too. So...onto a couple more negative points about the ship which hopefully will get sorted our and certainly wouldn't put us off travelling on it. Air con...far too strong especially in the cabins. Was actually making people ill , and I suffered dreadfully from a dry throat, a bad chest , a stuffy head and dry hair and skin. Many people complained of this and there didn't seem to be a way to turn it down as the controls didn't seem to make a lot of difference. The shows were disappointing compared to the shows we had seen 3 or 4 years ago on a Marella cruise. Then they were West End quality, now more like school show, although some of them were better than others. Again, new staff, new troupe and I was told a different (cheaper?!) company supplying them so not as polished and together as they could be. Also in some shows we felt it was done on the cheap, lack of costumes and stage back drops and equipment. The best shows for us were the Rock one, the Soul one (which I didn't think I'd like..although Id have to say I didn't think all the songs were soul but who cares) the songs from the Musicals and Cogs. I didn't really understand Cogs...it was a very loose story, but the costumes and general stage dressing was fabulous and the songs pretty good. Although Marella, please sort out your sound and mikes....they are on too loud and are distorted...the balance is wrong! Cost of the excursions is ,as usual, a little high but on a par with other cruise companies. We tend to research before we go and do our own if possible. Explorer...you need to increase the cycle tours as they were very popular and difficult to get on to. We managed to do one as someone cancelled and we were on the reserve list, it was fabulous, good knowledgeable guides, easy pace for us and for those who didn't cycle there was the option of the amazing e-bikes (with a motor to help pedalling) We didn't use Marella for any excursions except the bikes and went with TJ Travel for St Petersburg, a 2 day tour. Talking to others we definitely did the right thing as there was no queuing for us, local guides, a better itinerary and a smaller group equipped with the hearing boxes and ear pieces. We notice Marella don't give you much advice about where to catch buses etc now when you land somewhere; they used to the day before on the cruise news. Probably because they would rather you did an excursion. however, as we had researched before going it didn't really affect us. Finally, be aware that although Yoga etc is advertised, it is available but you have to pay for it. The gym however is free and pretty good for a ship. It's certainly an experience on a treadmill in a rolling sea with 50 mile an hour winds! Finally, although yes there was origami and water painting to be done it was self led, not tutored, So all in all we liked Explorer, it is a reasonably priced cruise ship if you want to cruise and see places you may not have done otherwise and we certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it again, particularly if Marella tweak the areas I've mentioned!

Good cruise and itinerary, some things need a tweak!

Marella Explorer Cruise Review by zaffyfebe

zaffyfebe’s Full Rating Summary
Get Marella Explorer price drops

Reasonable size, plenty of storage and hangers, tea, coffee, toilet rolls replenished daily, fresh towels if you needed them (left on the floor, then you would get fresh. We didn't do this daily as we try to save energy and water) The standard folded towels into animals which are always a bit of fun, evening chocolates and turn downs. Cabin always made up and tidied promptly. Nice big window to see out of and stable, quiet cabin. TV Hairdryer, kettle, fridge all provided. Bed very comfortable as were pillows. Negative point was the vicious air con which we couldn't seem to turn down very much...this was common to all the cabins and people were complaining about it. Wasn't horrendous and you can always put on a sweatshirt...which I frequently did! Kept us fit walking up and down all the stairs to the upper decks!

• St. Petersburg
    NO queuing and informative and friendly TJ Travel tour guide, Olga who took us on the subway after buying us tickets and talked about it too. Wouldn't choose anyone else now have been with TJ. if all their tours are like this.
    View All 12,636 St. Petersburg Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Petersburg Cruise Port Review
  • Amber Room
    Informative, friendly, small (12 people) and professional . Olga our guide was amazing and looked after us all very well. She was a mine of information both on St Petersburg and all the places we visited and on the personal side of living there, as she does. We ate at lovely help yourself restaurants she had found for us, she made sure there were frequent rest room stops if needed and we were provided with hearing boxes which were fantastic making sure we could hear her all the time without having to strain. We got early pre entrance to the Hermitage (for all of us an hour and a half visit was enough!) and she tweaked the tour as needed, traffic and people wise. We didn't queue anywhere we went even St Catherine's (4 hour queue when we were there). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the company and think yourself lucky if you get our lovely Olga, Johan our driver and the quietly efficient and friendly Michael.
    View All 109 Amber Room Reviews
  • Catherine Palace
    View All 202 Catherine Palace Reviews
  • Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
    View All 182 Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood Reviews
  • City Tour
    View All 331 City Tour Reviews
  • Hermitage Museum
    NO queuing and informative and friendly TJ Travel tour guide, Olga. Wouldn't choose anyone else now have been with TJ. if all their tours are like this. Mini bus meant we could zip around easily and was a more flexible tour. An hour and a half was enough for us, people who went for longer said it was a bit long . we saw the highlights and you would have to devote days to see it all, but we wanted to see more of St Petersburg
    View All 326 Hermitage Museum Reviews
  • Neva River Cruise
    NO queuing and informative and friendly TJ Travel tour guide, Olga. Wouldn't choose anyone else now have been with TJ. if all their tours are like this. Only problem some of the party had at first was the commentator on the boat initially who was a lady with a very soft voice whom they couldn't hear,,,so I had to relay back what she was saying. This was better when a gentleman with a louder voice took over in the second part of the cruise
    View All 138 Neva River Cruise Reviews
  • Peterhof Palace
    NO queuing and informative and friendly TJ Travel tour guide, Olga. Wouldn't choose anyone else now have been with TJ. if all their tours are like this. Mini bus meant we could zip around easily and was a more flexible tour. The palace and gardens are amazing and we would love to return, although we did have fantastic sunny weather too!
    View All 207 Peterhof Palace Reviews