3. Sapphire Princess
My wife, 10-year-old son and I chose this cruise because it gave us the opportunity to spend some time in London and then cruise into ports we had never been to before. We are a family of three from Saint Augustine, Fl. This was our 37th cruise and 8th cruise on Princess Cruises. We love all the main cruise lines and usually choose the deal and itinerary over the line. I do believe Princess has always been our favorite line and was solidified on this cruise. Southampton was pretty easy to sail out of. We took a train from Waterloo station to Southampton and then got a cab to the port. The total cost for that was under a hundred American dollars for the three of us. Once there we were on the ship within about 5 minutes. We had lunch at Alfredo's which is a wonderful and relaxing alternative to the Horizon Court and what we strongly believe to be the best pizza at sea. After lunch, we explored the ship, unpacked, did the muster drill, had a coupe drinks and went to dinner. We ate at the Steakhouse and sadly this was the worst meal of the cruise. My wife's NY strip was of poor quality and was flat out bad. My Ribeye was fine but there was nothing special about it. I should also mention that we have always felt like Princess offers the best dining room food but we have never had a dinner in the steakhouse that we we did not regret. RCI, NCL, HAL and even Carnival are all doing this much better in our opinion. On a positive note, that was the last time we were disappointed with diner. All meals were very good with excellent service. We were never rushed and we never waited either. All dinners were good and on the formal evening they bumped it up a couple of notches. They have cut back over the years as all lines have. For instance, where they used to offer a Filet Mignon as a meat option any night of the week, they now offer a hamburger. However, what they do, they do well. I had beef wellington, and beef tornadoes during the cruise and they were both cooked to a perfect medium rare. Salmon melted in my mouth and other seafood selections were good. Dinners were always served hot. We pretty much stayed away from the Horizon Court but it seemed pretty in line with any other buffet. We often grabbed a snack or sandwich at the International Café and it was fine and I guess what we expected. On the last evening we ate at Sabatini's, which unlike the steakhouse is worth every penny. I had the Veal chop, and my wife and son both ordered a steak and it was all quiet at the dinner table. It was a great way to end the cruise. Princess kept us busy on sea days with ping pong tournaments, free throw contests, scavenger hunts, and putting contests. We returned home with three Princess medals. There are no rock climbing walls or water slides but our ten-year-old son still had a blast. There were also plenty of variety shows that we all enjoyed. Aaron the cruise director and the entire team were talented and hilarious. They went out of their way to make our son feel special. If you guys are reading, Dave from Singapore sends his regards... The ship was scheduled to be back in Southampton at 7 am and our cards were scanned and we were looking for our car service before 7:05 am. We had a car service called Blackberry drive us back to Heathrow for 99 pounds. We hit no traffic and were at Heathrow in about and hour and fifteen minutes. Overall, this was a great cruise. It was very relaxing. Princess offers spectacular ships but with a more relaxed experience. We never felt crowded. After the chaos of flying over the Atlantic and experiencing the hustle and bustle of London, the Sapphire Princess was a much welcomed way to experience the remainder of a once in a lifetime vacation.

Family cruise through Northern Europe

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by cruisin2934

• Sail Date: June 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Interior

There were also plenty of variety shows that we all enjoyed.

cruisin2934’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Get Sapphire Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IE C514
We chose an interior cabin for this cruise as we were already breaking the budget between the airfare and our hotel in London. Our cabin attenant, Wong, was among the best we have ever had and we have had some good ones. The cabin was clean and nicely appointed. The cabin does not offer a love seat but does seperate the closet from the sleeping area. It is located across from the bathroom and allows privacy to get dressed and keeps from over crowding. For the three of us, it was perfectly fine for the week and Wong made it extra special. Being from Florida, we did not miss the balcony as we would have been too cold to enjoy it anyway.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Tivoli Gardens
    We booked a 2 hour city tour and then two hours in Tivloi Gardens. We would not do this again. Our ship got into port an hour and a half late. They reveresed the order of the excursion and cut the stay in Tivoli Gardens down to one hour.

Try to think about bringing a kid to Disney World and telling him he has one hour. We chose to abandon the tour and spend the day at Tivoli Gardens. We were extremely impressed. The park is beautiful. There were more than enough thrill rides and the lines were all minimal. We enjoyed it more than Disney and so did our son. It is much, much cheaper even for us during the off season and we're from Florida.

We took a cab home, which cost us about 30 American dollars, which I didn't think was bad for three of us.

We did gripe to the excursion desk and they refunded the excursion in full. There certainly was no more that they could do but we really regretted missing the city tour.
    View All 56 Tivoli Gardens Reviews
  • City Tour
    We did easy oslo. It was fine for us as we were tired. I did not think Oslo was the most fascinating city in the world and is a place we would never feel the need to return. The bus was comfortable and nice to be on givin that it was between the high forty's and low fiftys and raining out. I should mention that we were there on the Fourth of July.
    View All 33 City Tour Reviews