3. Norwegian Dawn
We have taken various Norwegian cruises over the last 7 years and have always enjoyed the boats as part of the vacation experience. Although it is not my first choice to go on a smaller boat such as the Gem compared to a boat like the Escape, I decided out of allegiance to Norwegian to try the Dawn this time. Unfortunately, the boat being a smaller one was the least of our issues. First of all, I bought all four of our passengers spa passes for the week. My husband and I enjoyed it so much on the Escape that we wanted to share the experience with our daughter and son in law. The passes were most definitely NOT worth it. This spa has a lap pool as opposed to a pool with jets and a waterfall. Why anyone needs to do laps at a spa is something I do not understand, but it is a big waste of a pool as no one in the pool did more than wade around. Other than the lap pool there is One Jacuzzi with limited jets in it and it does not accommodate more than four people at a time. Then, there is the mineral pool which is strange bubbles brewing in treated water. I am not sure what is in it but my daughter broke out in a rash that night so we stayed out of it after that. There are a few heated stone loungers that are useful but other than that it is a very small spa. My son in law said to be sure and try the Ice Bath in the girls locker room. Although we saw signs for it, my daughter and I could never find it. My daughter finally asked an employee who stated that the signs were put up when the spa was built but the bath has never existed on the women’s side and they never removed the signs! My last complaint about the spa is that at least twice each time we were there, the smoke alarms went off and ran for more than a few minutes which is the least relaxing thing you can listen to in a spa. Apparently the alarm is too close to the men’ sauna and goes off if someone does not shut the door properly. On to our next issue, whoever was running the main dining room should train the servers to ask for drink orders. We had to ask ourselves if we could order bar drinks on more than one occasion because no one asked. I have been on many Norwegian boats and never have I felt like this was an inconvenience before. One morning we went for breakfast and did not receive coffee until again, we asked if we could have it, and again it was a big inconvenience to find someone to serve it. Coffee. At breakfast. We met several of the same servings working in different parts of the boat on the very same days. I have never felt so much evidence on a cruise before of how OVERWORKED these poor employees are. This is also the first time we consistently asked for a drink order and received something else in return. We had the drink package so I didn’t complain but it happened more than a few times which indicates some kind of breakdown in communication. The first day we had an excursion we expected to walk downstairs and right off the boat as we have so many times on so many other boats. Instead we were directed to basically stand in a very long line to disembark which wrapped around the inside of the boat and almost made us late for our excursion. I am still not sure why they decided to do that as it was only the first day. On our trip to Atlantis we were carted on to buses to get there. They did a head count as we got on the bus, but then they had people who were standing in the isles like my son in law, pull these make shift seats that were attached to the arm rests of the isle seats over, and use them as seating. These were extremely dangerous as was the seat in the very front next to the driver, and the fact that they tried to split up parents and children with these man made seats. I am sure that these islands do not have the same safety regulations as we do, but I was hoping I could trust Norwegian to keep my family safe while in their hands and I do not feel that is true anymore. Lastly, the boat itself was not taken care of properly. We often saw empty drink glasses sit in places for long periods of time rather than be picked up. My room was straightened up but definitely NOT cleaned. Especially the bathroom which I personally wiped down myself with soap and water just to feel comfortable. The whole trip was a disappointment and I will rethink my allegiance to Norwegian next year when I plan.

Disappointed Loyal Norwegian Customer

Lisaerrico’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Dawn price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 10118
Average size, not very clean, furniture old and worn.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins