3. Viking Star
I hate writing bad reviews but, with the money we spent well over $25,000. We choose this cruise line because we had heard so many wonderful things about Viking. We had been looking forward to this cruise for a year. This to us was not a Mid-Luxury Cruise. We have been on many cruise lines average, mid luxury and Luxury. We selected the Explorer suite aft #5109 for the size of cabin. There is no value you here as many things were skimped upon and I suspect awards bought for by Travel and Leisure for marketing purposes. Will never sail again with Viking. Costly mistake $$$$. Cabin: Upon our arrival the mini fridge was not working and warm. They replaced it the next day. The cabin was so hot we had them turn off the heated floors in the bath room. I am sure it nice to have this feature in a colder climate. It was 75 outside in Athens and very humid throughout the entire trip. The suite is roomy but, not as roomy as others we have been on in this category still comfortable in size but, just not worth the extra dollars we spent. The bed was hard as a rock and very uncomfortable. They had to place a topper on it but, still it was very uncomfortable. Would not recommend for arthritis or lower back issues. There is no storage in the living area and furniture is not comfortable for sitting, reading or watching a movie not to mention the angle of the furniture. The room is pleasant and the Scandinavian look is just not practical. Bath towels were thin and scratchy and although the bathroom is very roomy and beautiful even after cleaning efficiently twice daily by our steward smelled consistently of mold because the water from the shower sits on the floor and even though it is pitched doesn’t drain properly or quickly. Water pressure is very good. Also only one plug for the hair drying located in the tight closet underneath the shelf which is totally inconvenient. You have to get on your hands and knees to plug it in. Should have been placed above near the mirror. You can not use a hairdryer in the bathroom on any ship. Always seemed like the a/c would go off when in port and the cabin would get hot. Awful smells from the new carpet glue they installed in front of our door at 10:00pm. The smell never dissipated and smelled throughout the rest of our trip along with the smell of petroleum when they would fill up in port. Ship: The ship is beautiful but, the decor seems repetitive but, certainly not a deal breaker. Similar looking furniture throughout the cabin and ship. It is spacious so it does feel as though there are few people on board. Lots of space to be alone which was nice. Food: I never thought I could say this about any cruise line but, the food was the worst. I am not that picky of a eater nor is my husband but, the Buffett choices were so skimpy and almost all food over cooked. Beef tough, fish dry, no semblance of theme. Nothing exciting here very basic. The same repetitive things for lunch and dinner for 14 days and nights. Rice, potatoes, a meat sometimes attempts at ethic foods again either tasteless or over cooked. I ended up eating a lot of salad. They do include beer and wine with lunch and dinner but, mostly table wine. Not exactly how I saw that going. So disappointing! The Chef’s table was very good but, the menu repeated for 3-4 days and you can’t eat there every night as you have limited times and reservations. On the many attempts to the Restaurant(main) the sign said closed check your daily newsletter.....what? Why not post the times. When it was supposed to be opened it was closed. One day for lunch we stayed on board and ate at The Pool Grill. There was absolutely not another person on board guessing all on excursions. We had already been to the port so we decided on lunch. Our first clue should have been the 10 or so hamburgers stacked up in a pan under a heat lamp. We ordered and the cook place them back on the grill. My husband definitely felt ill that night. We brought this up to the restaurant manager and he said that is not acceptable to precook them and he would speak to the chef. Two days later we saw for steak and lobster night 8 steaks same pan same location same heat lamp. I guess he was just placating us. Live and learn. Staff and service: The staff is overall very good and for the most part always there to try and help although some could use some better customer service skills such as the Explorer desk who at the end just didn’t want to help with something as simple as a plastic bag. Cabin steward excellent Dwe worked hard to keep things in our cabin tip top. We tipped him generously because he worked so hard and was so on the ball. Excursions: Mostly good except we did have one guide in Olympia who just droned on spewing out factoids which was grating. This can happen on any cruise so again not a deal breaker. But, tours were very well organized. The thing that was annoying is you didn’t have a time to meet for your excursion until the night before. Not sure why but, they were on time so maybe that’s why. They do provide headsets that recharge in your room. Don’t forgot them or you are out of luck. We saw several people who forgot them and didn’t have them for tours. We always brought them. They are great devices but, then you so have to lug them around remember to bring them. Spa: Spa was very nice and including the pools, saunas and snow grotto interesting. When I went to change and shower there was no body lotion? Again skimping. I mean if you allow people to use the spa why only provide hand soap and hand lotion? WiFi The so called free WiFi is WORTHLESS!!! It didn’t work for most 90% of the time on board. Tech came down and checked it but, it kept disconnecting even while he was there checking it. He couldn’t figure it out and said they just changed it and have had problems with it in the past. I needed to be in contact with our house sitter as we had a problem in the basement. I ended up having to use my cell because it kept disconnecting and couldn’t text or email. My bill was over $500. I had planned on using their WiFi to stay in touch. I do understand satellite internet isn’t the best but, this happened even in port. Don’t offer WIFI If you can’t deliver. Just another thing someone dropped the ball on because this is a new ship that should not have happen. It was so slow nothing would load. In closing there are things one can overlook on any trip or cruise. The little annoyance certainly yes. This was not the case here. We spent a great amount of money and were taken for an expensive ride. Never Again! Buyer beware!

Will never sail VIKING again costly Mistake!!!

Viking Star Cruise Review by Saavy traveler